• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

Maybe build new ones in Canada to equip reserve units.
We would have to get barrels and likley FCS from overseas, but the carriage and recoil systems could still be made here. These would likley require a 10 ton gun tractor with Hiab crane.

Maybe build new ones in Canada to equip reserve units.

Better, buy the guns. Get the NAMMO contract to build their full catalog in Canada.

From 5.56mm to 155mm, from M72s to 155mm Ramjets and cooperation on the HIMARS/MRLS GLSDB rockets.

The 198 is a steaming pile.
No one in their right mind is going to get more.

The 198 is a steaming pile.
No one in their right mind is going to get more.
It will be interesting to see what happens once the US gets a wheeled SP for the SBCTs. That should free up roughly 9 battalions (162 guns) (not counting the Marine ones)

Those could go on the market or go to IBCTs to replace some of the M119s.

Just a thought. Where did the 100 that the US gave to Ukraine come from anyway?

Whats wrong with it?
Too heavy and clapped out. They were having maintenance issues in the 1990s with them and the Army was looking for replacements. At the time the GAO considered that the maintenance issues were not severe enough to accelerate the existing program for their replacement. They ended up putting another decade of shooting down each tube before the M777s started coming on line.

There's also @Kirkhill's issue - the thing takes an 11 man crew for a somewhat slow rate of fire and takes around 5 minutes to come into and out of action which is just outside the golden time limit to shoot and scoot.

🍻

5 min if your lucky on hard pack dry land with a giant truck required.

I’ve seen a few stuck for days in sandy areas.

Heard today that the C3 situation has gotten so bad that 2 Fd in Montreal has been re-issued 8 x 81mm mortars.

What a cluster!

🤬
What a shock, who could see this coming ......................................................................................................................................................... (I'll wait)

Heard today that the C3 situation has gotten so bad that 2 Fd in Montreal has been re-issued 8 x 81mm mortars.

What a cluster!

🤬

Infantry be like... ;)

smug GIF

What a cluster!

🤬
I think that may have to do with some difficulties in keeping the reserve mortar platoons running more than anything. At my last understanding training safety requires an arty O or NCO to ARSO any mortar range… which is obviously sub optimal.

I think that may have to do with some difficulties in keeping the reserve mortar platoons running more than anything. At my last understanding training safety requires an arty O or NCO to ARSO any mortar range… which is obviously sub optimal.

Oh my, never saw that coming...

Xavier GIF by Big Brother

I wonder who pushed to have that amendment shoved in, and if they’ve face any kind of consequences for setting up mortars to fail. No honestly if the mortars are still set to support the same Bns I’m not overly bothered, it could be the Womens Auxillary Balloon Corps providing me organic mortars, as long as we have some one.

I wonder who pushed to have that amendment shoved in, and if they’ve face any kind of consequences for setting up mortars to fail. No honestly if the mortars are still set to support the same Bns I’m not overly bothered, it could be the Womens Auxillary Balloon Corps providing me organic mortars, as long as we have some one.

Part time mortar support is never a good idea, or so I was led to believe ;)

The Army needs to decide if their priority is nine battalions, or a lesser number of capable battalions in the Reg F.

Back