• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

What I'm saying is that if a conflict breaks out with North Korea/China then any land forces we deploy will quite possibly be to South Korea...where they are the manufacturer and primary user of the K239. That means a large on-hand supply of rockets (and spare parts) available.

IF a conflict breaks out with Russia, and I agree that this risk is theoretically reduced given the current state of the Russian Army...but desperate situations can lead to desperate actions...then we will again likely be deploying to areas where other users of the system (Norway and Poland) are also operating.
Ah! When I first read that, I clearly didn't bother to remember that super obvious & basic detail, re SK being the manufacturer 🤦‍♂️

Connected the dots now. Duh.

If a PZH2000 and a boxer had a child..... I feel like it's suspension won't last that long

That's really interesting because I don't believe that the RCH is in the American Army's mobile howitzer shoot-off which required participants to each deliver 18 evaluation systems by first quarter 2023 (That may have changed for all I know)

RCH has no guns in service that I know of - Israel decided to go elsewhere. That they'll try to supply 18 to Ukraine by 2025 pretty much explains that even though the prototype module has been around for years, they hadn't even begun low rate, test production.

🍻

Unmanned, automated loading system, and I am assuming targeting information & gun orientation will be done remotely.

Not a bad system for Ukraine right now. Perfect chance to work out the bugs without risking the lives of troops.

(If it works...)

Unmanned, automated loading system, and I am assuming targeting information & gun orientation will be done remotely.

Not a bad system for Ukraine right now. Perfect chance to work out the bugs without risking the lives of troops.

(If it works...)
I don't think its fully automated yet. The turret is but there's a driver and a crew commander/gunner up front in the hull. It's something along the line of Archer. Their literature talks about a fully remote operated system becoming a capability.

🍻

Who needs gunners on the guns?

If that then how many gunners do you need to put at risk on an SPG? A driver for the long hauls? Then dismount the drivers and have four of them operate a troop of guns by remote control?

Who needs gunners on the guns?

If that then how many gunners do you need to put at risk on an SPG? A driver for the long hauls? Then dismount the drivers and have four of them operate a troop of guns by remote control?
Looks like an evolution of the General Dynamics SIAC 155mm system. It's a towed system that has an auxiliary power unit (APU) that allows it to be self driven. In this case it looks like it's intended for quick re-locations rather than long road moves.

Looks like an evolution of the General Dynamics SIAC 155mm system. It's a towed system that has an auxiliary power unit (APU) that allows it to be self driven. In this case it looks like it's intended for quick re-locations rather than long road moves.

I note that the Brits are also beefing up their vertical lift capabilities by modernizing and expanding their Chinook fleet. I would expect the gun also to be compatible with the Merlin (Cormorant).

Edit - The SIAC 155mm looks a lot like the old FH70, still requires a prime mover and a crew of 6 or 7.

What happens when you have to few guns

The key lesson is don't buy German technology where the manufacturer continues to glom on to the IP regardless of people dying in the field.

🍻

The key lesson is don't buy German technology where the manufacturer continues to glom on to the IP regardless of people dying in the field.

🍻
While I agree on the Germans shooting themselves and everyone else in the foot. I suspect that the operational rate for the other western systems are not much better.

Meanwhile - in the shoot and scoot environment in which the Ukrainians find themselves

Pickup trucks mounting 57mm, 70mm, 80mm and 120mm rockets in expedient mounts.

Fire a couple of missiles, adjust, unload on target, get out of dodge while other units repeat the mission.

The Ready To Fire Missile, launched direct from the limber with no need for a complicated gun seems to becoming a favourite with everybody from Territorial ATGM gunners, through MANPADS and Air Def operators to the Artillery.

Consummables on the guns - charges, shells, driving bands, lands, breech blocks, recuperators

Launch requirements for missiles

300px-Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Eight_Qassam_Launchers_in_Gaza.jpg

Especially true of guided missiles that can be fired off-bore.

Meanwhile - in the shoot and scoot environment in which the Ukrainians find themselves

Pickup trucks mounting 57mm, 70mm, 80mm and 120mm rockets in expedient mounts.

Fire a couple of missiles, adjust, unload on target, get out of dodge while other units repeat the mission.

The Ready To Fire Missile, launched direct from the limber with no need for a complicated gun seems to becoming a favourite with everybody from Territorial ATGM gunners, through MANPADS and Air Def operators to the Artillery.

Consummables on the guns - charges, shells, driving bands, lands, breech blocks, recuperators

Launch requirements for missiles

300px-Flickr_-_Israel_Defense_Forces_-_Eight_Qassam_Launchers_in_Gaza.jpg

Especially true of guided missiles that can be fired off-bore.
Honestly I see better value in a 81-120mm mortar pickup than the rocket launcher systems. The smaller rockets have very limited range and payload - and abysmal accuracy when fired indirect (not fantastic from a helo either, but much better than minute of mountain that the ground expedient systems offer).

Back