• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British soldier killed in parachute jump near Calgary

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Article Link

British soldier killed in parachute jump near Calgary
Last Updated: Friday, September 14, 2007 | 8:00 PM MT
CBC News
A British soldier is dead as a result of injuries sustained in a parachute jump Friday near the Beiseker airport northeast of Calgary, RCMP say.

Emergency medical staff, including an air ambulance, were called about an injured skydiver who had plummeted to the ground, but the man died at the scene, said Sgt. Patrick Webb.

Maj. Gary Bourne of the British Army Training Unit Suffield said the soldier, whose identity wasn't released, was taking part in a training exercise when the accident occurred.

Initially, RCMP said the soldier was taking part in a recreational jump.

The accident is under investigation and an autopsy will be conducted Monday, Sgt. Webb said.

Five people have been killed in the past 18 years while skydiving near Beiseker.

Inquiries have been held into some of the deaths and recommendations made to make the sport safer.

The most recent accident happened in June when a man was injured during a jump.

RIP  :salute:

rest in peace soldier  :salute:
                                    scoty b

RIP soldier, no matter where you're from, you're still a brother in arms.

Man Beisiker has a reputation to the point I would recommend no one jump there. Not sure who runs it now. The owner some years ago was a questionable character. At a Transport Canada meeting in Edmonton I attended in 1992 he said "Time is money and you're wasting my time" right to the TC official running the whole thing.

Years ago they were using ex Skyhawks gear-and the CF does not sell parachutes or containers as such..........go figure. All their Bullet containers were stained with red smoke- I breathed enough of that in to recognize it on para gear. "AM" who made the containers was having fits, as they had been modified without his consent.

The last  Brit death in 1999 there I told the Army Colonel in the  British High Commission to keep UK troops away from the place, obviously advice not heeded. In 1999 they were a bandit drop zone that had not met the pre reqs to be member DZ/School of the Canadian Sports Parachute Assn(PS  they are today according to the CSPA site)There were many high quality CSPA member DZ's in Alberta that would have been happy to have trained Brits on"Adventurous Training". "GM", same guy as '92 above caught wind that I spoke to him and threatened to sue. The truth hurts I guess.

RIP jumper.

We used to be given a fair bit a latitude on where we sent the troops for Ex Pond Jump adventure training. I hope that they aren't locked into some kind of long term contract with these guys. Knowing the way British Army red tape works, they'll likely be stuck with them until the contract's done.

Back