• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ Regular Force 2014 - 2017 [Merged]

Buck_HRA said:
I am wondering if you may have misunderstood the information given to you. 

Normally there are not notes stated to have a job offer ready by a specific date with the exception of if someone is to be picked up in a specific Fiscal Year (i.e. MOTP candidates that are being picked up for Fiscal Year 16/17 have a note stating that they need to have their file completed by 31-Mar but there is no specific date beyond that).
Good Day

I am new to this forum but I was referred by a friend who has been monitoring BMOQ start days as he's been merit listed and is awaiting a start date.
I have received nothing but vague responses when I try to find out where I stand in the process so I'm hoping you can maybe clarify what the Lt. meant when he said "we are waiting for HQ to make a selection."
I've been declared medically fit, passed aircrew & interview completed

Thanks for your time

It means that you're in a "list" of people who have also applied to the CAF.  When selections are done your file is there and if you are competitive you will be selected, if you are not competitive enough your file will remain in that "list".

The reason why you are getting vague response in regards to where you sit is because no one can tell you with certainty whether you'll be selected or not as the competitiveness of the occupation you're wishing to join is constantly changing.

Best Regards

Buck_HRA said:
It means that you're in a "list" of people who have also applied to the CAF.  When selections are done your file is there and if you are competitive you will be selected, if you are not competitive enough your file will remain in that "list".

The reason why you are getting vague response in regards to where you sit is because no one can tell you with certainty whether you'll be selected or not as the competitiveness of the occupation you're wishing to join is constantly changing.

Best Regards

Many thanks for your quick reply.
I completely understand the vagueness of the reply from the Lt.... I just wish he could have said it the way you did. I've been waiting to read the words 'merit listed' (although you didnt use that exact term I'm hoping that's what you meant) for quite some time. The actual selection of my file from the merit list will of course be something that cannot be predicted.

Thanks again good sir!

Good Day,

You will no longer hear the term "merit list" so if that's what you're hoping for you won't hear it from any current recruiting staff (unless they misspeak like I still do from time to time). 
The term has been changed to "competition list" ... :)

Cheers

Hi,
I will try to be as brief and clear as I can :
I applied as an AERE (1st choice) and Electrical and Mechanical engineering Officer (2nd choice). I have done all the steps and the only thing the army is waiting for is a proof that I successfully pass my Mechanical engineering Degree. I will do my last exam on may 2nd; this means that I won't have my diploma before the mid-may BMOQ.

I don't mind doing my BMOQ in french (my first language) or english, I just want to be able to do it as soon as possible. I would like to know if, since there are more BMOQ-E than BMOQ-F, it is faster to do it in english. Also, I don't know if this can have an impact, but my recruiter told me I did really really well for my CFAT (second best scores he saw in his career).

Thanks in advance

Sorry.  There is NO "fastest way to get on a BMOQ".  You, however, being bilingual do have a slight advantage in that you can be Course Loaded on either Course.  When the Course loading is being done, you MAY land up being loaded on an English Serial if there is an opening, but there are no guarantees.  At the same time, if there are not enough French candidates, they have several options which could include: putting everyone on an English course (offering translation); placing bi-lingual English candidates on a French course to fill out the numbers; or any other mix or option they can come up with including cancelling the course altogether.  The number of candidates enrolled will dictate how they Course Load their courses and how many courses they run, so there is no way of accurately predicting what would be the fastest way to get onto any course.

I was in a similar position, language wise, when I joined.
I was told that although it would make sense that there are more spots in English, the French spots are harder to fill due to the smaller pool of candidates and so it's actually easier to jump on a French platoon.
This has been true for all my career courses to date. I did BMQ-L, QL5s and PLQ  in French, ahead of all the people in my Anglophone sister platoon from BMQ.

George Wallace said:
Sorry.  There is NO "fastest way to get on a BMOQ".  You, however, being bilingual do have a slight advantage in that you can be Course Loaded on either Course.  When the Course loading is being done, you MAY land up being loaded on an English Serial if there is an opening, but there are no guarantees.  At the same time, if there are not enough French candidates, they have several options which could include: putting everyone on an English course (offering translation); placing bi-lingual English candidates on a French course to fill out the numbers; or any other mix or option they can come up with including cancelling the course altogether.  The number of candidates enrolled will dictate how they Course Load their courses and how many courses they run, so there is no way of accurately predicting what would be the fastest way to get onto any course.

First of all, thank you for such a fast reply. Is there a way to indicate in my file that I can do the basic training either in french or english ? It seemed like I had to choose and stick with the language choosen unless in a situation where, as you said, forces decide to mix french and english candidates together.

While not specifically BMOQ-related, being able to prove that you are bilingual (functionally or fluently) will help you in your career.  Getting a language profile, especially an Exemption, in your "other" language (the one aside from the language you chose as your primary language during your application) will open up postings and possibly promotion opportunities later on.

As a general question is there any questions the lot of you have? I'm at CFLRS right now and have some advice to share.

As a general question is there any questions you have? I'm at CFLRS right now and have some advice to share, and I may end up on your platoon.

There are 2 DEO French officer platoons and 1 ROTP, and January and August respectively. However you'll find a long processing time for your account either way so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

You are thinking about BMOQ but you haven't been offered a position yet. You probably haven't even been merit listed because your application file is not complete (waiting for proof of degree). To my knowledge, the engineer trade offers will be sent out in April so unless your application is completed by then and you are merit listed, I wouldn't be so optimistic about May BMOQ.

I applied for NCSE, EME, and Engineer Officer around Dec 2016. My application file is now complete and I should be merit listed this week. Again, I was told the board sits down and makes the decisions in April. However, I am curious if they fill all the openings for the year at once or do they leave a few open to give some late joiners a chance of getting an offer.

The captain that interviewed me 2 weeks ago told me there is a small chance I could make BMOQ in May, but September would be a lot more likely.

Good luck with your exams and your application.

Hi Natoba,

I do not have specific questions, but would like to benefit from your advice.

Cardio is king at CFLRS. You'll be put in the blue sector from floors 5-11, which means climbing 6-12 (There is a hidden floor) every single day, sometimes multiple times a day with various different weights on your back. Go out and run or jog every single day until you get here. You'll have your own room with 6-9 roommates and my best advice there is to start cleaning your room on day one, bring some dry swiffers and Lysol wipes. It's all about routine here, and if you can get into a routine of wiping down everything in your room from day one than you'll be alright. Sleep times are 11pm - 5 Am, but most people wake up for 4:45 but just don't put their lights on until 5. Always move as a group with your platoon, it's better for your entire platoon if 60 of you mess up rather than 30 mess up and 30 succeed. Be sure to request as a platoon standard that your platoon be allowed to keep their barrack boxes in their room, you can use it to store extra kit and cleaning supplies, all of your civilian bags and cloths will be locked up by about day 3-4 here. The final piece of general advice is take time to unwind, you'll be able to focus and perform much more efficiently if you can de-stress even a little rather than just trying to shoulder it all .

No specific questions on my end, but feel free to share any advice you could give, I'm sure it wouldn't go unappreciated.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I do have couple questions if you could help out. How much time do you spend training outside? Since we are going to spend almost the whole summer there, is sunblock lotion allowed? How much personal hygiene stuff are you allowed to keep around such as shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc.. and are we allowed to use hair blow dryer? It would be nice to know so I don't bring things that I can't use.

Thanks!

You spend roughly 16% of the course in physical training, and thus outside. As for sunscreen I think they would actually get upset with you if you didn't protect yourself, getting sunburn is a chargeable offense. The field portion is two half weeks, and two full weeks on week 2,3 11 and 13 respectively. You should bring two things of shampoo, wash, tooth paste and a second tooth brush. One you make sure is absolutely spotless and you show for inspections (But make sure you still use them every once and awhile.) The other you use more frequently and put in your personal box during inspections. You should try and get your platoon staff to allow you to have your barrack box (Green box) with you on course as it allows you to have much more space for personal supplies and cleaning supplies. You can bring a hair dryer but be careful with them as they are known to blow the breakers in the rooms, don't use more than one at a time.

Thank for all the info Natoba. Speaking of the two sets I am thinking you are talking about " ghost set". Isn't that a no-no for basic training? I'll make sure to bring a lot and good sunscreen though. Hopefully there are not many girls... don't think you guys need to use hair dryer lol.

How many people usually live on one floor? How many people you share the bathroom and shower with?

Thanks

60 People to a floor, average 10-18 Females and 40+ Males. In the blue sector you are divided into either a 6 person "Pod" which has 6 individual bedrooms, a small common room and a bathroom with 1 toilet one shower, and three sinks. That or a 9 person pod with two bathrooms, one single person bathroom and another which is a copy of the 6 person pod. As for "ghost kit" when I was taken to Canex my Master Seamen flat out told us "Buy one of these for inspection, I recommend buying a second for personal use." Just never take it out of your personal box or barrack box, but I still recommend using it every once awhile and cleaning it really good to appease them.

Back