• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blue Angel jet crashes at U.S. air show; pilot killed

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Blue Angel jet crashes at U.S. air show; pilot killed
(Shared IAW Fair Dealeings, etc.)

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/04/21/blue-angel.html

Last Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2007 | 8:00 PM ET
The Associated Press

A U.S. Navy Blue Angel jet crashed during a South Carolina air show Saturday, plunging into a neighbourhood of small homes and trailers and killing the pilot, the county coroner said.

Witnesses said the elite team was flying in formation during the show at the Marine Corps Air Station when one jet dropped below the trees and crashed, sending up clouds of smoke. At least one home was reported on fire.

Raymond Voegeli, a plumber, was backing out of a driveway when the plane ripped through a grove of pine trees, engulfing his truck in flames and debris. He said wreckage hit "plenty of houses and mobile homes."

"It was just a big fireball coming at me," said Voegeli, 37. "It was just taking pine trees and just clipping them."

County Coroner Curt Copeland said the pilot was killed, but did not release an identification. Copeland said there was a lot of debris at the crash site and described the scene as horrific.

John Sauls, who lives near the crash site, said the planes were banking back and forth before one disappeared and a plume of smokeshot up.

"It's one of those surreal moments when you go, 'No, I didn't just see what I saw,"' Sauls said.

At the Blue Angels command headquarters at Pensacola Naval Air Station, the petty officer on duty said he "had no comment at this time."

The phone rang unanswered at the marine base.

More than 100,000 were expected to attend the air show and the Blue Angels were the main attraction. The elite aerial-demonstration team, which is based at Pensacola Naval Air Station, recently celebrated its 60th anniversary.

Beaufort is about 60 kilometres northwest of Hilton Head.

I hate accidents.The flight envelope those guys fly in is very unforgiving. No room for error. I remember years ago an entire flight flew into the ground. I think the flight leader talked them into the ground.

My condolences to the family and comrades of the pilot. :salute:

Blue Angel Jet Crashes at Beaufort Air Show
Story Number: NNS070421-12
Release Date: 4/21/2007 7:51:00 PM

From Navy Office of Information

PENSACOLA, Fla. (NNS) -- An F/A-18A Hornet assigned to the Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron (Blue Angels) crashed during the final minutes of an air show at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., at approximately 4 p.m. EDT, April 21.

The pilot did not survive.

The pilot of the jet was joining the Delta formation for the final maneuver of the aerial demonstration when the mishap occurred. It was his second year on the team, and first year as a demonstration pilot.

The other five Blue Angel jets were not involved in the incident and landed safely moments later.

The crash occurred approximately three miles outside the air station in the vicinity of Pine Grove Rd. and White Pine Rd. One civilian on the ground reported minor injuries and was transported to Beaufort Memorial Hospital. Some houses in the area received damage, the extent of which is unclear at this time.

The name of the pilot is being withheld pending the notification of the next-of-kin.

The cause of the accident is currently under investigation.

For more news from around the fleet, visit www.navy.mil.

Extensive coverage... http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/21/blueangels.crash/index.html

Fair Winds and Following Seas...

RIP

Damn. What a terrible thing to have happen. My condolences to the pilot's family and friends

R.I.P  :salute:

Back