• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Asthma & the CF (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy-The-Kid said:
I think this is dumb.  This just rained on my parade.  I mean, I have asthma and I never new I couldn't use my medication for one year.  People think that you will die if you have an asthma attack.  This is not true.  If you have had it your whole life like me then you know how to control it.  But what gets me, is I could probably do better on the fitness tests, then any other recruit, but since I asthma I won't get in?  That's stupid!  I'm very athletic but since I have a lung disease, that I can control, i still can't get in.  wow.

I got in with asthma, I had to go see a pneumologist that certified that my asthma wasn't a problem

The Dunnminator said:
I got in with asthma, I had to go see a pneumologist that certified that my asthma wasn't a problem

According to recent research announced on the News a few weeks ago, there has been a serious "over Diagnosis" of asthma amongst the population.  Due to improper testing many have been diagnosed as having asthma, when they did not.  Do your research and find out if the CORRECT Testing Method was/is being done. 

George Wallace said:
According to recent research announced on the News a few weeks ago, there has been a serious "over Diagnosis" of asthma amongst the population.  Due to improper testing many have been diagnosed as having asthma, when they did not.  Do your research and find out if the CORRECT Testing Method was/is being done. 

Already done, my asthma was in fact only caused by my allergies an never because of exercise which makes it a minor problem really since my allergies are really soft expect my allegy of cats. I suppose I won't have much trouble unless the talibans recruit a horde of cat hehe.

I was in the CF a few years back and was released with a clean bill of health.  When I tried to rejoin i was told that i was tested and found to have asthma while i was employed by the CF so i would need to re-take a methacoline (spelling) challange in order to get back in, which i cant afford. 

My problem with this is thus.  I have never used med's for asthma before or after the CF and I only took the meds under the direction of Med staff for aprox 2months while in the CF and never again.  I have never had an asthma attack in my whole life and was denied based on a report of asthma.  what can be done

Take the letter to your family doc and get new PFT's and a methacholine challenge - if all is clean, I'm sure the RMO will reconsider in your favour.  I'd also see about getting a hold of your old medical docs and see what it was they were talking about and bring those consults/records with you.

Cheers and good luck.

MM 

This isn't super on topic or anything, but I just feel like telling people. So I'm 19, and apparently I took puffers for a little bit when I was under the age of five for reactive airway disease. And it's never come up in the past 14+ years, at all. I still have to get a letter written up, but I guess it's good that they're thorough!  :)

I don't think this will affect anything but I just feel like asking I'm 18 years old and when I was born I had asthma I grew out of it by the time I was 1 or 2 years old, never had to use a puffer or anything like that since. I'm very active so there would be no worries of me having an attack or anything...... this wont affect anything will it?

SoldierInTheMaking said:
I don't think this will affect anything but I just feel like asking I'm 18 years old and when I was born I had asthma I grew out of it by the time I was 1 or 2 years old, never had to use a puffer or anything like that since. I'm very active so there would be no worries of me having an attack or anything...... this wont affect anything will it?

You may not have had any incidents since under your current lifestyle conditions.  That does not mean that you aren't at risk under conditions of prolonged extreme mental and physical stress, breathing air thick with smoke, fumes and dust, and being shot at or other dangerous risk conditions.  Even a "mild" attack under such conditions could be catastrophic and lead to the deaths of yourself and others.  The CF will err on the side of caution, and will "cross every T and dot every I" to ensure that your risk level is acceptable before enrolling you.

I understand what your saying , but when I told the the CF medic when I did my medical about it he said I should be fine and didn't ask me to get anything signed from my family doctor about it, I know for a fact I don't have asthma anymore so I think I'll be fine. I hope so.

Surprising a few years ago while teaching BIQ we had a candidate with asthma. He suffered a few attacks as a child and suffered no attack since then and was accepted. The only reason we found out he had asthma was in the final FTX ,and it was minus 55 (wWC), he had a massive attack in the middle of a platoon attack. He suffered all the way to the hospital and he said he thought he was going to die. He was medically RTU's, place back on a puffer, and then released from the military soon after.

What we go by is duration of the illness, when it occurred, severity, when was the last time meds were used, and a few other questions before we can safely say this dude/ette doesn't need a family doctor's note.  However, there are some things that would send up red flags, regardless of when the last time the candidate used their puffers or pills - basically, it's on a case by case basis after a careful history is taken.  Some people will have no probs with the medical, others will jump through some hoops, and several will have to jump through flaming hoops - that's just the way it is.  And as I've said many times previously, if you're the unlucky one that gets the "We're sorry to inform you..." letter from the RMO, it's not personal, it's just business, and it's the way we have to do business, not only to mitigate risk for yourself, but everyone around you.

Cheers.

MM

medicineman said:
What we go by is duration of the illness, when it occurred, severity, when was the last time meds were used, and a few other questions before we can safely say this dude/ette doesn't need a family doctor's note.  However, there are some things that would send up red flags, regardless of when the last time the candidate used their puffers or pills - basically, it's on a case by case basis after a careful history is taken.  Some people will have no probs with the medical, others will jump through some hoops, and several will have to jump through flaming hoops - that's just the way it is.  And as I've said many times previously, if you're the unlucky one that gets the "We're sorry to inform you..." letter from the RMO, it's not personal, it's just business, and it's the way we have to do business, not only to mitigate risk for yourself, but everyone around you.

Cheers.

MM

Well at my medical exam I answered those question's, my case was not severe at all, it was such a small case of asthma, I don't believe I even had to take any kind of medicines or anything like that and I was not told to get a doctor's note or anything in that matter.

hello, I'm recently graduated from highschool and am wanting to join the army as an infantry soldier but i suffer from asthma. i take medication as soon as i get up and before bed if needed and during the day i will be fine and be able to complete any strenuous physical activity. I'm not planning to join now I'm waiting six months and taking breathing courses as well ass daily breathing exercises and physical activity like running till my lungs cant take it. I really hope that me taking medication everyday wont matter, but everyone is telling me otherwise, which makes me want to do this even more. can i join?

The recruiting center guys after your medical will have the 100% answer for you but I highly doubt based on what I have seen that you would be selected. In the infantry if your requiring regular medication to live than there is usually restrictions against that. The CF medically discharged an infantry recruit two years ago becauise an infantry recruit was diagnosed with ashtma while undergoing training.

Again, I will emphasize that to get the 100% answer, call up and talk to a recruiter.

How long is a piece of string?

You've asked a poorly framed question that can't be answered here. If you want to join then apply. When you get to the medical portion you will be examined and more information may be required to determine your final medical suitability. If you don't meet the medical standards, so be it... move on. Do not consider hiding any medical condition during the enrollment process; truth is your best ally.

And before you anser with something along the lines of, ''I said MILD asthma...'' and get upset, let the CF med types decide what is mild to them.

That's about as clear as it can get beyond what Mike said.

I will share my personal experience with you.

I have asthma, and as soon as the Army saw that, they rejected my application (this was 5 years ago).
I was not content with that, so I spent a day on the phone, calling everyone who sounded even remotely important, going over the DND website, finding every phone number I could get my hands on. Finally I was told that I had to take a breathing test, called a Methacholine Challenge Test, which basically measures the severity of your asthma, and if it is mild enough, they will allow you to join. The waiting time on this test, in my area (southern Ontario) was 8 months. Fortunately, I  got in in under 2 weeks, passed the test. I have been in the infantry for 5 years.

That being said, asthma in the army (Infantry at least) will fuck you up. There is a lot of running, marching with a lot of weight, pollen, shitty weather...basically lots of things that will be exasperating your condition. I literally carry 2 inhalers with me whenever I am in the field.

Google the Methacholine Challenge Test, learn what it is, and schedule one now. By the time your application comes up, your appointment should be due  ;)

I have minor asthma that only really bothers me on long runs im also a ciggerette smoker of 10 years (im onlt 23) and im worried i wont be able to make it. Anyone els with asthma have experince with this?

My asthma is very mild i don't even use any drugs for it and i think it might have been more of a childhood case, but my endurance is horrible im in good shape too its just long runs that get me perhaps i 'd be fine i havn't even tried a long run in years since i was a kid when my asthma was more of a problem.

Also do you need a highschool education i made some poor decisions when i was 16  and dropped out of highschool, im not incapable by any means, i'm actually a self learned omputer programmer and graphic designer (went to the school of google ;) ).

I need somthing that is high adrenaline.

Most of your answers can been easily located on the official Canadian Armed Forces recruiting site FORCES.ca

My advice, attempt to quit smoking and/or work on your running and cardiovascular endurance. You will need it. If you get winded and have to stop after 10 minutes at a fair running pace, you won't cut it. Start working on it sooner rather than later or Basic Training will be hell. There is a minimum fitness standard you must succeed.

You must have completed at the minimum, Grade 10. However, regardless if you have Gr10, a GED, a HS Diploma, or a degree; if you cannot reach a certain level on the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test your options of trades/occupations will be very limited. The more technical you get, the higher the educational and CFAT requirements get.

Consider this though, you are a Soldier First. You must be willing and capable of donning Fighting Order, a weapon, and fight with maximum exertion and aggression.

High adrenaline - not always. There's a lot of classroom instruction, a lot of practical instruction, a lot of waiting.
Keep out of trouble - to a degree. However you are ultimately responsible for your own actions and you cannot rely on the CF to keep you out of trouble. It's not a babysitting service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back