• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Cook posted to Navy base, seeking deployment in Afghanistan

LuvNavy

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently posted to CFB Esquimalt, as an army cook. I want to be deployed overseas, but I'm wondering if I will have a chance to go to Afghanistan, or will I be stuck sailing for the rest of my career? I'm sure sailing is a great experience, but I really wanted a field unit. Is there somebody I can talk to once I get to my unit in Esquimalt, or a way to volunteer?

Thanks! Any feedback would be great. Even if it's shut your hole, and appreciate what's given to you.  ;)

I have known a navy cook that never stepped foot on a boat for what its worth.

Your element has no affect on where you serve in a purple trade. There are plenty of non-green Log types in the brigades and vice-versa.

In fact I have even seen them draw from outside the brigades for tour manning, so not all hope is lost. Make sure your supervisors know your intentions. I assume you are a Pte coming off your QL3s, so you probably won't get a chance to see your career manager for a couple years (when you are a Cpl), but when you do, make sure your 3 posting preferences are to deployable field units if that is where your interest lies. Disregard that last sentence if it doesn't apply. 

It was my experience that you are your own best career manager......I would if in your shoes/boots put up with the Navy and a posting to a ship(gag-barf) if that is what it comes to, in the short to medium term. Do your best at your job and make sure your PO knows you are interested in a deployed operation, if and when they are looking  for people. Better a "volunteer" than someone who does not want to go.

It was my experience that being purple did not extend to the Officer ranks-I wanted a posting to an Air Force or Trg base so I could complete post grad in relative peace and quiet, and told that was inpossible unless I changed uniform colour, and that was not going to happen because they were short Army Logisticians. So Fort Fumble and U of O it was instead.

Back