• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

i said higher end merchant ships, the various fleets run the gambit that goes from death trap to Starship. merchants try to avoid storms, but they have routes and timetables they must meet. They spend a lot of time at sea. I would agree that they are not as particular as we are in regards to the environment.
true I suppose but it is very apparent that many have been well maintain above the water line and show a lot of wear and tear below. That applies to even the well maintained ones. The primary exceptions being the cruise lines of course

I can’t remember where I heard this, but I thought that due to environmental regs (especially in the US and Canada), you can’t paint ship while underway.
Environmental regs aside, your shouldn't paint generally unless you properlly prep and have good conditions. Otherwise you lock in salt to the coating and create rust, and the paint doesn't stick anyway or cure properly.

Steel ships rust in salt water, people just need to give their nuts a tug. Doesn't actually take much to get a few streaks like that off a tiny chip somewhere that flash rusts instantly and runs with a bit of water, so unless they stop outside somewhere and scrub it off the morning of there will be rust somewheres.

This looks particularly unsightly because the vast majority of the coating is still shiny and new, on a CPF most of that would blend in to the general rust patina.

Back in the 90's on the CCG vessels, if you had no buoy work or training, you were chipping and painting all the time. The level of prep also depends on the type of paint.

Back