• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Memo Templates: (AVOTP, ED&T, File Number, OJT, OT, Release, Retention)

I don't have one specifically for leave, but here is a guide to writing memos that should help you out.  All memos are writen the same it is just the subject that is different.  Para one put that you are requesting to go on leave to X country from  date to date, Para 2 put the reasons that you wish to go on this leave.

Attachments

• Example Memo 2PP-1.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 215
Gbert84 said:
I was told by my CoC I would need a memo.

The requirement for a memo is a unit requirement.  Most of us just list the countries that we plan to visit on the leave pass in the space provided for such.

There is a pan-CAF requirement, the submission of the Notice of Intent to Travel.  http://cdi.mil.ca/sites/intranet-eng.aspx?page=6351  This is only available via the DWAN.

Cheers,

AK

Sometimes having to write a memo has less to do with the subject, and more to do with your development. It's pretty hard to assess someone's writing ability if they never have to write anything.

ModlrMike said:
Sometimes having to write a memo has less to do with the subject, and more to do with your development. It's pretty hard to assess someone's writing ability if they never have to write anything.

You can see examples of this theory in effect when reading some of the posts on this very site from members who claim to have university, or other institution of higher learning, educations.  Somewhere along their paths they should have had someone insist on them doing some writing of memos or requests and reports. 

[:D

So I recently got accepted for an OT and am writing a memo to request OJT within my new trade. I am wondering if there is documentation that states I am allowed to request this while I am still a member of my current trade of if I have to wait until my effective date for when I am no longer a member of my current trade. My effective date for when I am posted to BTL is only two weeks before my QL3 course (potentially) so I'd rather get as much experience as possible. Also for the file index I had written down 4500-1 as it is under training. Is this correct or would you recommend something else?

You're overthinking this.  Simply put in a memo requesting what you want to do.  There is no specific format nor regulations that allows OR prohibits this.  However, personnel are employed out of trade all the time.  I would simply state that your OT has been approved and you have an opportunity to get some experience prior to your QL3.  This is a reasonable request and unless your current posting is so desperately short that each and every member has to be hands on, there is a good likelihood it can be approved (assuming your CoC was supportive of your OT to begin with).

Since this is a personal request, the appropriate file number is your service number: ### ### ### (Pers).

Back