• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 out of 10 Jobs created in Canada in 2020-2021 were in the Public Sector

In the civilian world non public Sector employees get a limited amount of sick time.
Don’t work and you don’t get paid
If I may flesh this out:

IF you get sick time benefits in the private sector I am willing to bet that they are not as generous and are very limited - maybe amounting to a few days.

I work in the Public Service and the abuse I see with "sick" time would get someone canned in the private sector. It really isn't that many but it is concerning.

Not only that but more than one has abused sick time their whole career and when they really needed it - it was gone.

If I may flesh this out:

IF you get sick time benefits in the private sector I am willing to bet that they are not as generous and are very limited - maybe amounting to a few days.

I work in the Public Service and the abuse I see with "sick" time would get someone canned in the private sector. It really isn't that many but it is concerning.

Not only that but more than one has abused sick time their whole career and when they really needed it - it was gone.

Private sector sick time is pretty generous these days, and many line up with equivalent public sector workplaces.

Where there is poor leadership, whether private or public, you'll get people abusing the system though.

Private sector sick time is pretty generous these days, and many line up with equivalent public sector workplaces.

Where there is poor leadership, whether private or public, you'll get people abusing the system though.
I'd love to see some stats on that but in the 40 years of my working life the 3.5 years I spent at DND is the only time I've had paid sick leave at work.

Days per year might fall within a narrow range, but I'd be surprised if accumulation is permitted in more than a few private enterprises, and even more surprised if it were paid out on retirement.

Days per year might fall within a narrow range, but I'd be surprised if accumulation is permitted in more than a few private enterprises, and even more surprised if it were paid out on retirement.
Is there anywhere that sick leave is still paid out?

Is there anywhere that sick leave is still paid out?

BC...

Paid sick leave​

You can take up to 5 days of paid leave per year for any personal illness or injury. Your employer may request reasonably sufficient proof of illness.

This entitlement is in addition to the 3 days of unpaid sick leave currently provided by the Employment Standards Act.

You must have worked with your employer for at least 90 days to be eligible for the paid sick days.

BC...

Paid sick leave​

You can take up to 5 days of paid leave per year for any personal illness or injury. Your employer may request reasonably sufficient proof of illness.

This entitlement is in addition to the 3 days of unpaid sick leave currently provided by the Employment Standards Act.

You must have worked with your employer for at least 90 days to be eligible for the paid sick days.

I think he was referring to months/years of accumulated sick leave. At one time it was paid out to PS staff when they retired. That is no longer the case, so when you retire with 2K days of sick leave accumulated these days, those days just disappear.

I think he was referring to months/years of accumulated sick leave. At one time it was paid out to PS staff when they retired. That is no longer the case, so when you retire with 2K days of sick leave accumulated these days, those days just disappear.

As an employer, may I just say: good ;)

Correct. And pretty sure that went away quite some time ago. At least in the federal public sector. I can’t speak to provincial or municipal though.

Correct. And pretty sure that went away quite some time ago. At least in the federal public sector. I can’t speak to provincial or municipal though.
In our system in Mb if you retire with sick days on the books those days ARE NOT paid out.

What many do is deplete the sick time bank til its zero THEN retire.

Some try that here too but they get referred for health Canada assessments. Strange how they suddenly feel way better when that is presented to them…

as those whose children have supply teachers 12 days or more a year can attest, contracts provide no incentives to people to not call in sick. When accumulating days was permitted those sick days meant retirement six months or so earlier which was a much better bonus than the odd day off for a ball game so there are pluses and minuses to the policy

And pretty sure that went away quite some time ago. At least in the federal public sector. I can’t speak to provincial or municipal though.

Sick Bank Gratuity was negotiated after the war.

18 days each year. Unused days were banked.

The "bank" paid a nine-month "gratuity" when I retired.

Used up the remainder.

Members hired after July 31, 2009 are on something called, "Illness or Injury Plan (IIP)".

as those whose children have supply teachers 12 days or more a year can attest, contracts provide no incentives to people to not call in sick. When accumulating days was permitted those sick days meant retirement six months or so earlier which was a much better bonus than the odd day off for a ball game so there are pluses and minuses to the policy

It always amazes me how teachers know they are going to be sick a day ahead of time.

My wife is VP. He phone seems to go off constantly with requests to book subs.

Some try that here too but they get referred for health Canada assessments. Strange how they suddenly feel way better when that is presented to them…
We had one staff claim their shoulder was no good and had to have light duties - until their number came up to be put on shift then they got better very quickly.

Back