• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

a half billion. Really - this government must be awarding the contract to four person company - or maybe 5.
So, can you explain your expertise in enterprise wide data systems? That require data protection because the information is extremely personal? That have to support domestic, international and deployed functionality?

Or would you be happy to have anyone and everyone to have unrestricted access to your health information?

So, can you explain your expertise in enterprise wide data systems? That require data protection because the information is extremely personal? That have to support domestic, international and deployed functionality?

Or would you be happy to have anyone and everyone to have unrestricted access to your health information?
Of course I can't but maybe me and four buddies and my grandson (who has more of clue than I do) can figure it out. Aren't there provinces who do this already?

I understand these choppers will always turn up if you call them ;)

View attachment 84332
Middle, this is a thread about the CAF, not the Coast Guard…

I joke…but my neighbor still calls the yellow ones coast guard…just like the ones they have patrolling Lake Ontario…

The commitment to four year Defence and four year foreign affairs reviews are very positive.

But I agree that the here and now need more than "Let's look at these problem spaces".

It’s like someone (nation) else said, “Son, y’all need to start holding Quadrennial Defense Reviews!”

I think thats all it is. The Griffon life extension
Look at the cash lines. It's a replacement project (likely including infrastructure) and not GLLE.
Yup, nTACS - next Tactical Aviation Capability Set.

$497 million over 20 years to accelerate development of an electronic health record platform to improve the continuity of care as CAF members move between provinces and territories.

Notice that it says accelerate development?
It does not say implement, deploy, adopt, migrate etc.

What metric can be actually applied to track accelerate development?

Why does it take 20 years to accelerate development for such a system? It’s maybe complex but it’s not bleeding edge technology or software.

Notice that it says accelerate development?
It does not say implement, deploy, adopt, migrate etc.

What metric can be actually applied to track accelerate development?

Why does it take 20 years to accelerate development for such a system? It’s maybe complex but it’s not bleeding edge technology or software.
That description is inaccurate. The project is in the Definition phase. The acceleration is that it's being advanced from future years to now.

Middle, this is a thread about the CAF, not the Coast Guard…

I joke…but my neighbor still calls the yellow ones coast guard…just like the ones they have patrolling Lake Ontario…

It’s like someone (nation) else said, “Son, y’all need to start holding Quadrennial Defense Reviews!”

Yup, nTACS - next Tactical Aviation Capability Set.

And then there is anudder toy.

I thought Annex D was probably the best part, up until the closing

It went from solid to very flaccid in the closing.

Going forward, Defence will explore ways and means of adapting our engagement approach so that more regular consultation contributes to better implementation of defence policy. We intend to continue these conversations on an enduring basis in order to collaboratively identify problems as they evolve, integrate diverse points of view, and develop new solutions in the years ahead.

$497 million over 20 years to accelerate development of an electronic health record platform to improve the continuity of care as CAF members move between provinces and territories.

"Only" 20 years? How optimistic.

I'm having flashbacks to the 1980s and MEDMIS (Medical Management Information System). While an eventual "electronic health record" module was supposed to be part of the project, I don't know if they ever got there, I retired before I ever saw anything useful and the few times that I interacted with the project seeking even a "beta" application (mostly related to med finance or workload reporting and once because they offered a "medical translation app" as we were gearing up for a humanitarian op) they always came back with the "not ready" excuse - except for the translator, but that was a useless piece of crap. I did see something much later but don't know if it came from MEDMIS which had started nearly twenty years previously. However that was (back in the 2000s) early days of civilian practices making serious moves toward general adoption of EHRs.

I'll make the assumption that the CF currently has an adequate EHR (maybe better than adequate the more I read the less I make that assumption), but, probably like most civilian systems, communication with providers outside the military is limited in scope.

I'll use Alberta as an example of how a provincial level health information system is configured Why Create an EHR? - Alberta Netcare
1712628022271.png

Then extrapolate that to the CF interacting with 10 13 (maybe more) external systems.
And some of the background on what the CF has now and where they want to head. https://canadabuys.canada.ca/docume...6e3c/ABES.PROD.PW__XE.B685.E39378.EBSU000.PDF

With a nice diagram of who's involved with a CF health record, or actually who they expect to need access.

1712635078785.png

I saw some surprises in the document — the return of long range missiles to the army was one. I remember the Long Range Precision Rocket System project (also known as CANSCUD) which seemed well and truly dead, but it’s made a comeback.

Airborne Early Warning was another surprise. The cost seems to suggest something other than E-7 Wedgetail (the obvious choice) — so what are the options? Piggybacking on the USN E-2 Hawkeye replacement and hoping it’s reasonably priced? Or something like the Embraer E-99?

I suppose that CanCyberCom probably does need to be an L1 and a direct report to the CDS for authorities reasons and as a dual force generator/force employer like CANSOFCOM, but I hope they can concentrate on building capabilities instead of building a Command Headquarters.

Our North, Strong and Free: A Renewed Vision for Canada’s Defence

Hmm. The way I'm reading this is the major capital projects will get funded or at least receive sufficient funding to open a project and start the project definition and perhaps define the requirements.

No serious increases for the baseline budget. Remember the budget does not take into account inflation and there was no mention of any adjustment for in

The government is committing to explore not committing to buy:

ADATS 2.0?

SP Arty? MLRS?

This one I think that a good likelihood of becoming true. Got to keep GDLS London open for jobs.

The previous gov't also made commitments to defence the north, but nothing substantial was done except study after study.

No commitment to submarine replacement.

Defence investments into infrastructure can be very costly. Given the political talk this could be mean building more fencing or just renovating current buildings - new electrical wiring, plumbing, HVAC.

The first thought was AWACs, but is could be just partnering with the USAF or other Allies to share data. New aircraft capability such as AWACS is expensive will require training for pers, infrastructure and so on. Knowing political speak, this could just mean discussions with NORAD, other Allies to "explore" requirement

Project funding over 20 years to ease drain on the budget. This means many people will be retired when the project starts to deliver a product.

Sorry, but I cannot help but be cynical. Of course there is no indication that the CPC, if it becomes the next gov't, will remain committed to this plan.

Lots of exploring..

Airborne Early Warning was another surprise. The cost seems to suggest something other than E-7 Wedgetail (the obvious choice) — so what are the options? Piggybacking on the USN E-2 Hawkeye replacement and hoping it’s reasonably priced? Or something like the Embraer E-99?
I would guess that the SAAB GlobalEye would be the politically obvious choice, as the airframe is built in Quebec by everyone's favourite corporate welfare recipient.

Back