• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Have you actually listened to his explanation of what Remove the gate keepers means? No

Start with barriers to construction of homes and infrastructure (I only found out recently that fed govt kicks in money for this), he is planning to reward early finish of homes that need to be built and punish late/incomplete homes. Get more housing available, more homes for people to move into. Get more homes than renters and buyers, prices should come down. Immigration can function properly if there is homes to move into. Not to mention, construction is happening, people are working (coordinate with labour policies to ensure its Canadians and or residents), just one small example.

There are a bunch of other projects held up (not just construction) by federal government "gatekeepers" that hinder useful spending. I know I have come across a few on the agriculture side. I will spare the details, but these slogans are not just empty words.

How about the cost to taxpayers for the failed drug management in terms of "harm reduction" and "safe supply" BS and failed policies?

If you bother to watch an hour long video of PP, he goes much more into detail into the HOW and WHY of the Conservative. I can dig up a recent video but warning you will have to watch an hour plus of him talking.

Anywho, this probably belongs in the CPC Thread (For the I hate Pierre even though he hasn't had a chance to succeed or fail club). This here is the Trudeau sucks thread because he can't do a damn thing correct and makes pathetic excuses for it.
All I am saying is that our problems are systemic and multi-causal, which will be extremely complex and expensive to fix. With housing, it will not be enough to tinker with funding formulas and for the Feds to nose their way into provincial and municipal jurisdictions, which Tories are loathe to do. The trades are already maxed out building homes under the current regime and there is more to the housing crisis than lack of supply. Other than tax and regulatory schemes that are suppressing supply, we are also facing huge threats to our housing through mass mortgage fraud and money laundering from foreign actors, which our laws seem incapable of dealing with.

With the speech in Halifax by the BoC #2 warning that our economy is in a “break glass in case of emergency” moment and the RCMP report warning that the reduced standard of living situation is a potential threat to national security and public safety, whoever is government will need to make some drastic decisions that may not be popular.

The Tories MO is usually to cut spending and lower taxes and damn the consequences. However, the various threats to our national security and public safety will require significant amounts of money and resources. The CAF, as we constantly discuss here, needs to be rebuilt. That won’t be cheap. Our justice system needs more judges, law enforcement, prosecutors, court space, prisons and even legal aid. That won’t be cheap. Laws will need to be updated that will protect us, but also be Charter proof. That will be difficult and require serious thought. Our intelligence agencies need the resources to effectively tackle foreign influence, intimidation and interference campaigns. That won’t be cheap. Healthcare is a mess that continues to fester. Fixing that will not be cheap or easy.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. How are we going to pay for that? Raising taxes and cutting existing programs to a substantial amount will not be politically popular and will probably lead to the government lasting only one term.

All that to say we have serious systemic issues and all of the parties are being anything but serious. To me, they saying they are going to tinker at the edges and smear each other. We are seriously boned.

And I forgot to mention our fiscal crisis which will demand significant budget reductions, negating all of the above investments we require, or drastically reducing government programs and services people have grown used to having. If you think the public service is dysfunctional now, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

All I am saying is that our problems are systemic and multi-causal, which will be extremely complex and expensive to fix. With housing, it will not be enough to tinker with funding formulas and for the Feds to nose their way into provincial and municipal jurisdictions, which Tories are loathe to do. The trades are already maxed out building homes under the current regime and there is more to the housing crisis than lack of supply. Other than tax and regulatory schemes that are suppressing supply, we are also facing huge threats to our housing through mass mortgage fraud and money laundering from foreign actors, which our laws seem incapable of dealing with.

With the speech in Halifax by the BoC #2 warning that our economy is in a “break glass in case of emergency” moment and the RCMP report warning that the reduced standard of living situation is a potential threat to national security and public safety, whoever is government will need to make some drastic decisions that may not be popular.

The Tories MO is usually to cut spending and lower taxes and damn the consequences. However, the various threats to our national security and public safety will require significant amounts of money and resources. The CAF, as we constantly discuss here, needs to be rebuilt. That won’t be cheap. Our justice system needs more judges, law enforcement, prosecutors, court space, prisons and even legal aid. That won’t be cheap. Laws will need to be updated that will protect us, but also be Charter proof. That will be difficult and require serious thought. Our intelligence agencies need the resources to effectively tackle foreign influence, intimidation and interference campaigns. That won’t be cheap. Healthcare is a mess that continues to fester. Fixing that will not be cheap or easy.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. How are we going to pay for that? Raising taxes and cutting existing programs to a substantial amount will not be politically popular and will probably lead to the government lasting only one term.

All that to say we have serious systemic issues and all of the parties are being anything but serious. To me, they saying they are going to tinker at the edges and smear each other. We are seriously boned.
Before you talk raising taxes (they should be cut), lets look at where money was wasted.
Look at the colossal waste coming from the Liberals on Arrivescam, WE charity scandal, McKinsey "consulting fees" (for really fucking stupid solutions), expanding the federal government work force by 30-40%, media bail outs, money wasted on "anti-hate" consultations (load of crap that is), money wasted on pride parades (nothing wrong with LGBGT+ celebrating but not on tax payers dime), the list goes on and on.

We need a bare bones skeleton government, CUT ALL unnecessary spending (I mean tighten the federal government belts). Start there. Then we can see how much we pay to OUR grandchildren deficits and whether we need tax increase or no. Or other revenue sources.

My gut feeling tells me to kill the waste, fucking all of it and low and behold, their is probably no more need to gouge taxpayers money.

National security? Oh spare me, we aren't spending hardly anything on that right now and lets be frank, its no priority with the Trudeau Liberals. Funny, didn't it sem like the Chretein/Martin Liberals were better with fiscal management (Yes, they have Adscam as a black eye)

Reactions: QV
Before you talk raising taxes (they should be cut), lets look at where money was wasted.
Look at the colossal waste coming from the Liberals on Arrivescam, WE charity scandal, McKinsey "consulting fees" (for really fucking stupid solutions), expanding the federal government work force by 30-40%, media bail outs, money wasted on "anti-hate" consultations (load of crap that is), money wasted on pride parades (nothing wrong with LGBGT+ celebrating but not on tax payers dime), the list goes on and on.

We need a bare bones skeleton government, CUT ALL unnecessary spending (I mean tighten the federal government belts). Start there. Then we can see how much we pay to OUR grandchildren deficits and whether we need tax increase or no. Or other revenue sources.

My gut feeling tells me to kill the waste, fucking all of it and low and behold, their is probably no more need to gouge taxpayers money.

National security? Oh spare me, we aren't spending hardly anything on that right now and lets be frank, its no priority with the Trudeau Liberals. Funny, didn't it sem like the Chretein/Martin Liberals were better with fiscal management (Yes, they have Adscam as a black eye)
Yes, we are in a mess, mostly of Trudeau’s making, but other past governments are culpable too. But it’s overly simplistic we’re going to fix it simply by cutting spending. If you’re not cutting in the right places, you’re going to compound problems. Cut in others, you’re going to be out on your ear and a radical Marxist who will make Trudeau and Singh look like serious fiscal hawks who care for defence of the Realm will take over.

As for spending boondoggles, the Tories better deal with them more effectively than the Liberals. They need to develop accountability structures that will at the same time be efficient. Usually, to prevent someone from issuing a contract to a buddy requires more bureaucratic oversight, more regulation, more policy and more bureaucrats. If you can increase accountability without increasing oversight, then you might be inline for a Nobel Prize.

Fewer government programs means fewer distortions in the market. Which also require less oversight (bureaucrats). For the Feds, this also, specifically, means staying the hell out of areas of Provincial Jurisdiction, regardless of the temptation.

Improving the business environment to encourage investment for both new industry and to encourage productivity gains increases the revenue stream to governments.

Fewer government programs means fewer distortions in the market. Which also require less oversight (bureaucrats). For the Feds, this also, specifically, means staying the hell out of areas of Provincial Jurisdiction, regardless of the temptation.

Improving the business environment to encourage investment for both new industry and to encourage productivity gains increases the revenue stream to governments.
Generally, i agree. However, we have built up a system of iron rice bowls in this country and if governments think they can ride it out when they start smashing them, they might find that they have worn out their welcome with a good portion of the electorate that voted for them.

Everyone thinks the government should reduce wasteful spending until it’s their rice bowl getting smashed.

If you can increase accountability without increasing oversight, then you might be inline for a Nobel Prize.
Thats a brilliant line, seriously.

I hear ya on the Marxist turfing you if you cut the wrong thing.

One thing past Tories have failed on, is messaging (and marketing in that regard). Notice I said "Paying our Grandchildrens deficits", a huge part of it is in how its sold to the public.

"Cut spending is a must!"
"Why, Prime Minister?"
"So we can pay down the deficit, improve our credit rating or whatever blah, blah"
"BOOO!"

or

"Cut spending is a must!"
"Why, Prime Minister?"
"So that our grandchildren and great grandchildren can have a higher quality of life and better opportunities than us"

Yes, we are in a mess, mostly of Trudeau’s making, but other past governments are culpable too. But it’s overly simplistic we’re going to fix it simply by cutting spending. If you’re not cutting in the right places, you’re going to compound problems. Cut in others, you’re going to be out on your ear and a radical Marxist who will make Trudeau and Singh look like serious fiscal hawks who care for defence of the Realm will take over.

As for spending boondoggles, the Tories better deal with them more effectively than the Liberals. They need to develop accountability structures that will at the same time be efficient. Usually, to prevent someone from issuing a contract to a buddy requires more bureaucratic oversight, more regulation, more policy and more bureaucrats. If you can increase accountability without increasing oversight, then you might be inline for a Nobel Prize.
The Tories better do better than the Tories, their attempt to “fix” the PS pay system fiasco led to billions lost. Boondoggles are just as likely with what is coming as I think that PP is going to try rush some quick wins that will inevitably lead to more broken things.

I think that PP is going to try rush some quick wins
You THINK but you don't know for sure.

Its why Pierre P deserves the opportunity to succeed or fail. Trudeau has long since blown his chance, fifty times over.

You THINK but you don't know for sure.

It’s why Pierre P deserves the opportunity to succeed or fail. Trudeau has long since blown his chance, fifty times over.
Sure. Call me jaded but he was in government last time and even a minister in Cabinet. He actually had that chance back then…

Cut spending to everything that isn't a core responsibility to all levels of government.

Security/fire services, defence, infrastructure, sanitation, medical care, public education (not universities other than for investments in research and development) and roads. Keep all of that.

Cut all spending on 'culture' issues, all foreign aid, and have all social programs require some contribution or equal service to the greater good in order to receive their benefit.

Remove most our red tape and regulations and open Canada for business.

And stop transfer payments, just because I wanna watch the east squeal when we are forced to live within our means and also in turn causes a migration west or out of Canada, which also helps in the long run.

Burn the place down; and use the nutrient rich soil that's left to build back better.

Cut spending to everything that isn't a core responsibility to all levels of government.
Ok.
Security/fire services, defence, infrastructure, sanitation, medical care, public education (not universities other than for investments in research and development) and roads. Keep all of that.
So a libertarian approach? Gradual or sort of right away?
Cut all spending on 'culture' issues, all foreign aid, and have all social programs require some contribution or equal service to the greater good in order to receive their benefit.
Foreign aid. Interesting. So Ukraine? It may be lost on some but foreign aid is still a tool to wield some influence.
Remove most our red tape and regulations and open Canada for business.
Unregulated business and enterprise? Some people who may side with you want to see more regulation on things like big pharma for example. How would they see that?
And stop transfer payments, just because I wanna watch the east squeal when we are forced to live within our means and also in turn causes a migration west or out of Canada, which also helps in the long run.
So remove the foundation of what makes Canada, Canada? How do you think that could be realistically achieved? It would take massive constitutional changes and amendements. Good luck.
Burn the place down; and use the nutrient rich soil that's left to build back better.
“Destroy the old world to build the new”…I’ve heard that somewhere before.

Ok.

So a libertarian approach? Gradual or sort of right away?

Foreign aid. Interesting. So Ukraine? It may be lost on some but foreign aid is still a tool to wield some influence.

Unregulated business and enterprise? Some people who may side with you want to see more regulation on things like big pharma for example. How would they see that?

So remove the foundation of what makes Canada, Canada? How do you think that could be realistically achieved? It would take massive constitutional changes and amendements. Good luck.

“Destroy the old world to build the new”…I’ve heard that somewhere before.

The transfer payments make Canada, Canada ? I don't think we share that opinion. Either way its really just vindictive on my account. Hence the watch us squeal comment.

Foreign aide, we should get our own house in order and then we can look again at helping outside our borders financially. But not until that point, and it needs to be very very carefully done.

If you don't like the plan that you haven't seen but still fear, and you don't like the plans that you have seen perhaps the solution is to not request any plan.

If you don't know what is going to happen then do nothing at all.

Laissez-faire.

I am not convinced that politicians improve any situation. I am convinced that the only things worse than politicians are experts.

The transfer payments make Canada, Canada ? I don't think we share that opinion. Either way its really just vindictive on my account. Hence the watch us squeal comment.
It’s how it assures balance between the provinces and it enshrined in the constitution. The constitution is what makes Canada what it is no? It isn’t opinion it is fact.
Foreign aide, we should get our own house in order and then we can look again at helping outside our borders financially. But not until that point, and it needs to be very very carefully done.
so then you are onside with cutting aide to Ukraine then if that were to be a CPC policy point? Even Stephen Harper never cut “most” foreign aid. Because he knew its value. Now, he changed how foreign aid was decided on and for what but it was never mostly removed.

Besides. The amount we spend is not as high as some think. 6.9 million. Less tha 1% of our national income. And it would seem according to sources it has been declining.

It’s how it assures balance between the provinces and it enshrined in the constitution. The constitution is what makes Canada what it is no? It isn’t opinion it is fact.

so then you are onside with cutting aide to Ukraine then if that were to be a CPC policy point? Even Stephen Harper never cut “most” foreign aid. Because he knew its value. Now, he changed how foreign aid was decided on and for what but it was never mostly removed.

Besides. The amount we spend is not as high as some think. 6.9 million. Less tha 1% of our national income. And it would seem according to sources it has been declining.

My apologies, ya the constitution is a foundational Canadian document. I thought you were calling transfer payments what makes Canada, Canada. Lets take that part out of the constitution ?

I see almost 8B in foreign aide.

As for the Ukraine, like I said we need to get our house in order first. Canada needs to work for Canadians before a penny goes overseas. I also think we've donated enough treasure and ordinance, of which we have/had very little. It's time we start to cut regulation and red tape and rebuild our own military. I would probably allow the CAF to keep participating in training the UAF folks, but that's about it. Like the US we should be doing a Pacific pivot.

Back