• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes

A free Seam Whistle in a real glass would have been enough for me, but all of the rest is just icing on the cake.
When I was still in the Reserves, I had a subordinate who worked for Porter; after I mentioned that I travelled with them, I can't say what they may have done to my profile in their computer system, but I started getting premium seats...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boeing-investigations-buttigieg-1.7140953

"Former Boeing employee who reportedly raised concerns about company found dead....the 62-year-old died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Charleston County coroner's office in South Carolina confirmed on Tuesday....Barnett had been in the middle of a deposition in a whistleblower lawsuit in Charleston related to production of the 787 Dreamliner plane."

"Former Boeing employee who reportedly raised concerns about company found dead....the 62-year-old died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Charleston County coroner's office in South Carolina confirmed on Tuesday....Barnett had been in the middle of a deposition in a whistleblower lawsuit in Charleston related to production of the 787 Dreamliner plane."
Self inflicted?? really?

Forgive me but this "suicide" seems to color me suspicious

Self inflicted?? really?

Forgive me but this "suicide" seems to color me suspicious
Anybody remember a while back when Bae Systems had a bunch of people all commit suicide within short order of each other?

They all worked on the same project together. And one by one they committed suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head, drowning themselves in toilets, falling off of high places, etc etc.

One guy even committed suicide by tying himself to a chair and then somehow beating himself to death.

Yet somehow every single one of them was a suicide. And I believe it was roughly a dozen people or so...

I was actually trying to look it up just last night, but Google + YouTube has been SCRUBBED of any mention of it. Anybody else remember something along those lines tho?

Not only was he a whistle-blower, but he was in town because he was to continue giving damning evidence via testimony the following day...

(He had already been questioned and was providing further details to support his claims, and the day had gone long so he was supposed to finish giving his testimony the following morning)

Convenient timing, and convenient circumstances for Boeing.

Especially as news is just breaking of a 787 Dreamliner (the very plane he was blowing the whistle on) reportedly plummeted towards the ground with passengers on board because the pilot lost control of the aircraft due to flight controls being non-responsive ...

AND leaked video via AL Jazeera of someone who snuck a hidden camera inside the Boeing facility in Sourh Carolina & spoke with some workers, none of whom has good things to say about quality control, quality of workmanship, a total lack of safety inspections, etc

Anybody remember a while back when Bae Systems had a bunch of people all commit suicide within short order of each other?

They all worked on the same project together. And one by one they committed suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head, drowning themselves in toilets, falling off of high places, etc etc.

One guy even committed suicide by tying himself to a chair and then somehow beating himself to death.

Yet somehow every single one of them was a suicide. And I believe it was roughly a dozen people or so...

I was actually trying to look it up just last night, but Google + YouTube has been SCRUBBED of any mention of it. Anybody else remember something along those lines tho?

Do you mean this? GEC-Marconi scientist deaths

That sounds similar...but I don't think that's the one.

I remember there being more than 3 (I'd say between 7-10 or so?) and their names had all been published. The circumstances around their deaths were all suicides & accidents, but many had clearly been murdered.

(I distinctly remember one of them bound to a chair and beaten to death, another had been shot but the case for it being self-inflicted had some serious flaws, etc)

Not only was he a whistle-blower, but he was in town because he was to continue giving damning evidence via testimony the following day...

(He had already been questioned and was providing further details to support his claims, and the day had gone long so he was supposed to finish giving his testimony the following morning)

Convenient timing, and convenient circumstances for Boeing.

Especially as news is just breaking of a 787 Dreamliner (the very plane he was blowing the whistle on) reportedly plummeted towards the ground with passengers on board because the pilot lost control of the aircraft due to flight controls being non-responsive ...

AND leaked video via AL Jazeera of someone who snuck a hidden camera inside the Boeing facility in Sourh Carolina & spoke with some workers, none of whom has good things to say about quality control, quality of workmanship, a total lack of safety inspections, etc

Just to add to my thoughts on the quality control issues coming out of Boeing the last few years...

It wasn't that long ago that brand new KC-46 refuellers were being delivered to the USAF with tools the workers had left behind in the wings, soda cans, and food

I don't want ti sound alarmist, but it wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be the beginning of the end for Boeing.

We've seen how the US government was willing to bail out the car companies a few years ago, and bail out the banks a few years before that...but those were entire industries facing challenges, and the loss of those workers + the industrial capacity (including financial) was deemed important enough to bail out.

This isn't an entire industry.

This is one company that can't seem to get its shit together...and while they do employ A LOT of people, and offer good paying jobs, and offer a lot of capacity for high tech jobs, R&D, satellites, etc they also create A LOT of problems for themselves...

90% of safety checks going undone prior to the delivery of brand new aircraft? Rampant drug use on the manufacturing line? Lobbyng the FAA to let them do their own testing & accountability, and still having serious problems even after the 737-Max?

Sure, they do have some product lines which seem to be doing better than others. The F-18 Super Hornet line, the AH-64 Apache line, the F-15EX (so far anyway) all spring to mind as successful programs without quality control issues.

But anything that has to do with civilian aircraft, or civilian aircraft converted to military use (KC-46) seem to be rife with issues - which makes me wonder if it's a problem as a specific plant as opposed to company wide?

I know they have new management now, but a 787 dropping out of the sky & the side door being ripped off of a 737 in flight isn't boosting my confidence. And if I'm sitting in a metal tube going 750km per hour 35,000ft above the ground, I'd REALLY appreciate having confidence in that metal tube

I know they have new management now, but a 787 dropping out of the sky & the side door being ripped off of a 737 in flight isn't boosting my confidence. And if I'm sitting in a metal tube going 750km per hour 35,000ft above the ground, I'd REALLY appreciate having confidence in that metal tube

Given the amount of aircraft and flights on a daily basis where nothing happens, the chances of you being involved in an incident are still astronomically low.

Given the amount of aircraft and flights on a daily basis where nothing happens, the chances of you being involved in an incident are still astronomically low.
Oh absolutely. Statistically, air travel is still by far the safest way to travel & the number.of incidents vs the number of flights is statistically quite low

I'm always surprised at just how few incidents we have in North America when you look at how busy some airports are. A well practiced machine indeed...

It's still a pretty shitty look on Boeing. Between problems with the 737 Max, quality control issues with the KC-46 Pegasus, a door flying off mid flight over Alaska (of all places...) and a 787 deciding to make an uncontrolled decent to the point passengers were slamming into the ceiling...

(That's ignoring the obvious elephant in the room of planes that decided to drive themselves into the ground not that long ago...)

AND that video coming out now where even the workers are talking about drug use on the job, safety issues, lack of safety checks, etc etc

AND a Boeing employee found dead in a PARKING LOT of suicide, the same day he's supposed to go back to court to provide further damning evidence of Boeing cutting corners, skipping safety inspections, etc etc

I mean there's bad press, and there is bad press ...

Boeing was already looking at a 10 year window before it would start to be profitable again, and that was before all the recent bad press...

In other news, gosh that A220 is a nice looking aircraft... 😏

Sees thread title... Looks at next flight details - 737 Max... - dang... I don't think I really need to fly ever again.

Right. Except an airline passenger has zero control or influence, is totally reliant on the pilots and service crews, and when something goes wrong it's probably catastrophic. I'd rather drive 1000% of the time no matter how long it takes.

Right. Except an airline passenger has zero control or influence, is totally reliant on the pilots and service crews, and when something goes wrong it's probably catastrophic. I'd rather drive 1000% of the time no matter how long it takes.

I take it you aren't a fan of hot-holidays.

Back