• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Yes, but they don’t have the same hangups about conscription as the Brits, or us.
I know Sweden had conscription for a very long time, but I was shocked that a defence chief was publicly warning the public of war in Sweden of all places. Not what I had on my bingo card.

I know Sweden had conscription for a very long time, but I was shocked that a defence chief was publicly warning the public of war in Sweden of all places. Not what I had on my bingo card.
It was hardly a surprise considering that Sweden set aside just over two centuries of neutrality to first join the EU and then NATO.

Remember how Sweden first became neutral. By losing Finland to Russia during the Finnish War of 1808-9.

🍻

I was actually talking about the Brits.
God knows we could really do with some sort of mobilization plans .
Think of this as an exercises in strategic planning.
But that would require strategic thinkers in Ottawa... of which we have very few in Government or Opposition.

Everyone is laser focused on Election 2025 and keeping/gaining power. "Mobilize for war" is definitely not a vote catcher for anyone of any political stripe in Canada

But that would require strategic thinkers in Ottawa... of which we have very few in Government or Opposition.

Everyone is laser focused on Election 2025 and keeping/gaining power. "Mobilize for war" is definitely not a vote catcher for anyone of any political stripe in Canada
I know I'm repeating myself but all parties poll assiduously and honestly, which is to say that they really are interested in what we, the voters, think and want. I've been told, by sources I consider very reliable that both the CPC and LPC hear exactly the same thing: Canadians don't care about national security and defence; they don't care that we are "laggards" and "freeloaders;" most don't think any significant increases in defence spending are necessary (at least that was the case several months ago); some think the defence budget should be cut; there is near zero support for any cuts to any "entitlement" to offset higher defence spending. Candidates reported, publicly, hearing the same at the door in the 2021 election campaign.

I know I'm repeating myself but all parties poll assiduously and honestly, which is to say that they really are interested in what we, the voters, think and want. I've been told, by sources I consider very reliable that both the CPC and LPC hear exactly the same thing: Canadians don't care about national security and defence; they don't care that we are "laggards" and "freeloaders;" most don't think any significant increases in defence spending are necessary (at least that was the case several months ago); some think the defence budget should be cut; there is near zero support for any cuts to any "entitlement" to offset higher defence spending. Candidates reported, publicly, hearing the same at the door in the 2021 election campaign.
I'm not surprised to be honest.

At the same time, its disheartening to know that the same population that has no desire to properly fund or equip our armed forces is the same one that will be calling for blood when their loved ones are obliterated in a missile strike that proper AD would have possibly prevented.

Paper boots and the Ross Rifle come to mind in all of it.

Survey says... much improvement required:

Happiness in RAF at lowest recorded level as survey shows military morale tumble​

Service life satisfaction among RAF personnel has dropped to its lowest level since attitudes were first surveyed in 2007.

Results from the UK Regular Armed Forces Continuous Attitude Survey 2023 show satisfaction with service life across the military has fallen for the second year in a row.

They also showed that attitudes towards financial-related aspects of service life have continued to decline, among the 9,176respondents.

In addition, levels of satisfaction with some aspects of Service Family Accommodation – including quality of maintenance/repair work – has fallen considerably since last year.

General service life

Satisfaction with service life across the services has fallen for two consecutive years, by 8 percentage points, from 50% to 42%, from 2021 to 2023.
It returns the figures to the level previously reported in 2018.

Satisfaction among RAF personnel has fallen to its lowest level since the question was first asked in 2007.

Army personnel are the most likely to be satisfied with service life (45%), with RAF satisfaction (37%) coming into line with figures for Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel (36% and 37%, respectively).

Officers also show a consistently higher satisfaction level with service life than other ranks.

Around a third of personnel feel valued by their service – 34% in 2023, down from 41% in 2021.

Money

Satisfaction with the rate of basic pay has fallen markedly in the last two years, returning to its lowest recorded level – 31%.

The same proportion of personnel agree that the pay and benefits they receive are fair for the work they do, down from 46% in 2021. 51% disagree.

Furthermore, satisfaction with allowances has fallen 18 percentage points since 2021, to 39%, back in line with 2012 levels.

These decreases may have been influenced by cost-of-living pressures and the rise in inflation.

Accommodation

Satisfaction with the overall standard of Service Family Accommodation (SFA) has fallen from 52% in 2022 to 46%.

Since last year, satisfaction with responses to requests for maintenance/repair work of SFA has fallen markedly – from 32% to 19%. The figure has fallen from 42% in 2015.

Similarly, satisfaction with the quality of maintenance/repair work of SFA has fallen by 8 percentage points to 19%, dropping from 37% in 2015.

Leadership and management of change

RAF personnel (17%) are the least positive about how well change is managed in their service – compared with Royal Navy (19%), Royal Marines (32%) and Army (27%).

Members of the RAF (18%) are the least likely to agree they have confidence in the leadership of their service, compared with Royal Marines (43%), Army (37%) and Royal Navy (28%).

Attitudes towards RAF senior leaders have fallen for the second year in a row, to their lowest-ever levels. The figures show that RAF personnel are the least positive about their senior leaders compared to the other services.

Survey says... much improvement required:

Happiness in RAF at lowest recorded level as survey shows military morale tumble​

Service life satisfaction among RAF personnel has dropped to its lowest level since attitudes were first surveyed in 2007.

Results from the UK Regular Armed Forces Continuous Attitude Survey 2023 show satisfaction with service life across the military has fallen for the second year in a row.

They also showed that attitudes towards financial-related aspects of service life have continued to decline, among the 9,176respondents.

In addition, levels of satisfaction with some aspects of Service Family Accommodation – including quality of maintenance/repair work – has fallen considerably since last year.

General service life

Satisfaction with service life across the services has fallen for two consecutive years, by 8 percentage points, from 50% to 42%, from 2021 to 2023.
It returns the figures to the level previously reported in 2018.

Satisfaction among RAF personnel has fallen to its lowest level since the question was first asked in 2007.

Army personnel are the most likely to be satisfied with service life (45%), with RAF satisfaction (37%) coming into line with figures for Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel (36% and 37%, respectively).

Officers also show a consistently higher satisfaction level with service life than other ranks.

Around a third of personnel feel valued by their service – 34% in 2023, down from 41% in 2021.

Money

Satisfaction with the rate of basic pay has fallen markedly in the last two years, returning to its lowest recorded level – 31%.

The same proportion of personnel agree that the pay and benefits they receive are fair for the work they do, down from 46% in 2021. 51% disagree.

Furthermore, satisfaction with allowances has fallen 18 percentage points since 2021, to 39%, back in line with 2012 levels.

These decreases may have been influenced by cost-of-living pressures and the rise in inflation.

Accommodation

Satisfaction with the overall standard of Service Family Accommodation (SFA) has fallen from 52% in 2022 to 46%.

Since last year, satisfaction with responses to requests for maintenance/repair work of SFA has fallen markedly – from 32% to 19%. The figure has fallen from 42% in 2015.

Similarly, satisfaction with the quality of maintenance/repair work of SFA has fallen by 8 percentage points to 19%, dropping from 37% in 2015.

Leadership and management of change

RAF personnel (17%) are the least positive about how well change is managed in their service – compared with Royal Navy (19%), Royal Marines (32%) and Army (27%).

Members of the RAF (18%) are the least likely to agree they have confidence in the leadership of their service, compared with Royal Marines (43%), Army (37%) and Royal Navy (28%).

Attitudes towards RAF senior leaders have fallen for the second year in a row, to their lowest-ever levels. The figures show that RAF personnel are the least positive about their senior leaders compared to the other services.

You know it’s bad when the Air Force is trailing behind the Navy in how they view their superior officers.

I'm not surprised to be honest.

At the same time, its disheartening to know that the same population that has no desire to properly fund or equip our armed forces is the same one that will be calling for blood when their loved ones are obliterated in a missile strike that proper AD would have possibly prevented.

Paper boots and the Ross Rifle come to mind in all of it.
Or add this: When the CAF can't respond to a national weather emergency IE floods in MB, super rain in BC, Ice storms etc in Ont and PQ.

THAT my friend is when they will whine and cry. NOT until then.

So the leadership is following the followers.

If the people are not perceiving a threat, are the leaders perceiving a threat? When the military leadership discusses threat levels with the civilian leadership, what type of reception do they get?

The question is not rhetorical.

Based on the "Foreign Interference" responses and "Convening" I doubt if I will be pleasantly surprised.

Or add this: When the CAF can't respond to a national weather emergency IE floods in MB, super rain in BC, Ice storms etc in Ont and PQ.

THAT my friend is when they will whine and cry. NOT until then.

Have no fear, the ARes is here!!!

Man Of Steel Ok GIF

If the people are not perceiving a threat, are the leaders perceiving a threat? When the military leadership discusses threat levels with the civilian leadership, what type of reception do they get?

Based on the "Foreign Interference" responses and "Convening" I doubt if I will be pleasantly surprised.
The question may not be rhetorical, but I doubt anyone in the know will be saying anything outside of a SCIF.

One wise politician once said that the secret to successful political leadership was to figure out which way the mob has headed and then rush out to lead them there.

Attachments

• angry-mob.jpg
    angry-mob.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1
You know it’s bad when the Air Force is trailing behind the Navy in how they view their superior officers.
Not really surprising to me... NWOs get a bad name, but some of the best people I have worked for are NWOs, and some of the worst were in RCAF DEU.

Just because someone calls you by your first name does not mean they are actually good at being a leader. Air force experiences vary, particularly if you happen to be in a job that isn't aircrew or aircraft maintenance.

Morality and reality: the key problems facing UK military recruiters​

Calls to prepare for war butt up against record on recent conflicts, pay and conditions, and changing youth culture

The latest figures show that on a net basis 5,790 people left the armed forces in the year to 30 September 2023. Army and navy recruitment targets have been missed every year since 2010, according to figures compiled by Labour. Royal Navy personnel numbers are 5% below the target set in 2015, and RAF numbers are 9% below target, while the army is only ahead because its target was cut to 73,000 in 2021, the smallest size it has been since about 1714, according to National Army Museum calculations.

The reasons are complex, and opinion is split. Richard Mitchell, a former member of the Parachute regiment said he joined after the 9/11 attacks when “they couldn’t get people into the Para depot fast enough”. However, he said, the morality of recent conflicts had been ambiguous. “Iraq was exposed as the big lie, and Afghanistan as a complete failure. Young people look back on recent history and worry the same will happen again.”

Not really surprising to me... NWOs get a bad name, but some of the best people I have worked for are NWOs, and some of the worst were in RCAF DEU.

Just because someone calls you by your first name does not mean they are actually good at being a leader. Air force experiences vary, particularly if you happen to be in a job that isn't aircrew or aircraft maintenance.
To be fair, most folks in the Navy think what you do is akin to black magic anyway, so they are extra nice lest you put a hex on them or something :sneaky:

One wise politician once said that the secret to successful political leadership was to figure out which way the mob has headed and then rush out to lead them there.
That's the way that it is but the fallacy in that is that it presupposes that the purpose of government leadership is to be re-elected rather than leading the nation and taking necessary action in the public's best interest.

I frequently wonder whether our system of democracy is truly viable and superior to some of the other choices. To quote Starship Troopers - "Service guarantees citizenship."

🍻

Perhaps float the idea of closing military bases, such as Valcartier or Esquimalt and watch heads explode.

Perhaps float the idea of closing military bases, such as Valcartier or Esquimalt and watch heads explode.
maybe Valcartier but the Islanders would cheer. Victoria seems to hate the navy. Just think of all the house boats they could tie up there if it wasn't for all those dirty noisy grey things

Back