• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

10 killed in shooting near Los Angeles after Lunar New Year festival

I believe California has the strictest gun control in the US but also the highest number of mass shootings.
I don’t know how many of those mass shootings, were with guns locally purchased in state or obtained out of state.

No amount of strict state laws will help if the neighbouring states have weaker gun laws. A sick individual that cannot legally obtain a gun in California might be able to get one in Nevada with no issues. But I don’t know if that is a thing or not.

Florida and Texas have the next highest amount of mass shootings and their laws are not as strict. Texas also having the highest number of guns of any state.

I’m not sure gun laws being strict or loose are a metric that should be used one way or another. I’ve said this before, the US has a gun culture historically ingrained in its DNA from the time it was created as a nation. Not sure if that problem will ever be solved.

This is the second mass killing in a few weeks by someone in their senior years. I will bet that the senior involved in this one had a history of not getting along well with others.
The age of the alleged killer also caught my attention. Possible dementia and/or alzheimer's related??

No amount of strict state federal laws will help if the neighbouring United states have weaker gun laws. A sick individual that cannot legally obtain a gun in California Canada might be able to get one illegally in Nevada with no issues. But I don’t know if that is a thing or not.
😉

I don’t know how many of those mass shootings, were with guns locally purchased in state or obtained out of state.

No amount of strict state laws will help if the neighbouring states have weaker gun laws. A sick individual that cannot legally obtain a gun in California might be able to get one in Nevada with no issues. But I don’t know if that is a thing or not.
I understand what you're saying and agree that strict gun laws doesn't mean they're not available.

I thought it was more interesting along the lines of California not being a state where gun culture seems common with the populationif that makes sense (or maybe I'm wrong and it's popular despite the restrictions?)

They have the highest rate of mass murders (I haven't looked but I'm assuming the mass murders are with firearms) but come in around 31st for the homicide rate. Flordia and Texas are 20 and 21 respectively (albeit not specifically firearm-related homicides)

So why does California top the mass murder list?

I understand what you're saying and agree that strict gun laws doesn't mean they're not available.

I thought it was more interesting along the lines of California not being a state where gun culture seems common with the populationif that makes sense (or maybe I'm wrong and it's popular despite the restrictions?)

They have the highest rate of mass murders (I haven't looked but I'm assuming the mass murders are with firearms) but come in around 31st for the homicide rate. Flordia and Texas are 20 and 21 respectively (albeit not specifically firearm-related homicides)

I believe they have the higher number of mass murders but the actual rate is lower than the national average.

FYI...

Mass Shootings in California​

mass-shootings-in-california-figure-1-1.png

Interesting data here as well in relation to number of guns and gun ownership rate. California has according to this the 2nd highest amount of legally owned guns but a lower rate of ownership.

I believe they have the higher number of mass murders but the actual rate is lower than the national average.

I'm not sure. What I'm reading says California has twice the number of mass shootings than Texas.

I wonder what is it about living in California that makes people want to go kill groups of people.

I'm not sure. What I'm reading says California has twice the number of mass shootings than Texas.

I wonder what is it about living in California that makes people want to go kill groups of people.
Number is not the same as rate of. The rate is actually higher in Texas than in California.

And I have no idea why killing groups of people anywhere in the US is a thing.

Number is not the same as rate of. The rate is actually higher in Texas than in California.

Can you explain the rate of part?

Between 2013 and 2019 California has had 257 mass shootings and texas has had 129.
How does Texas have a higher rate?

Can you explain the rate of part?

Between 2013 and 2019 California has had 257 mass shootings and texas has had 129.
How does Texas have a higher rate?
Rate is calculated by percentage of the population. Look up a couple of posts where daftandbarmy posted it. Data is there.

Stats are good until 2022 in that link as opposed to 2019.

The same way crime rates are not the same a numbers of crimes. Rates are by population sizes.

Last edited:
The vast majority of mass shootings are gang related. A very small proportion of those is the ones which grab headlines such as this event or school shootings. They do like to lump the stats together though and pretend that all mass shootings are along these lines.

The age of the alleged killer also caught my attention. Possible dementia and/or alzheimer's related??
Here in StabbyPeg a number of years ago a dementia patient in a care home assaulted another patient and killed him. He was found to be NCR and never faced a court.
This guy -72 years old - suicided after he murdered 10 people. To me - not a psychologist- it sounds like he planned this out and suicided because he had the power to do so. If that makes sense

What the hell is an assault pistol? What media genius thought this up?

RIP to the victims
Apparently was coined by the gun industry to market things like the Tec-9, which was a semi-auto version of a submachine gun and had a high capacity magazine (32 rounds in this case) and foregrip (styled as an assault grip). See the link below for the lawyer's case against the OEM; no idea if it's factual but can see that marketing being used.

Not really clear what the shooter used, but read somewhere it had a high capacity magazine that was illegal in California (even if the handgun itself might be).

Assault Weapons: The Case Against The TEC-9

Too many people!!

Back