• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

The citizen mobilization to block convoy movement near Billings Bridge may well have been the trigger for the long delayed police awakening from their slumber; the risk of citizens taking matters into their own hands likely played a major role in forcing the clearing action.
That is a very fair point, the extreme element on the opposite side was starting to show signs of mobilization which could have led to problems.

The citizen mobilization to block convoy movement near Billings Bridge the risk of citizens taking matters into their own hands likely played a major role in forcing the clearing action.

Control the streets.

"Whose streets?"

"Our streets!"

That is a very fair point, the extreme element on the opposite side was starting to show signs of mobilization which could have led to problems.
I would not characterize the people at Billings Bridge as in any way ‘extreme’. They were rightfully pissed off by inaction, and lawfully counter-protested in a way that stymied the efforts of some of the convoy occupiers.

I have yet to see anything that suggests there was an imminent risk of any significant retaliatory violence, although I’m a little surprised there wasn’t already significant vandalism taking place against trucks and such.

I think that by the end of the weekend of the 12th-13th, it was clear that Sloly was done and that things were starting to move towards action. Had there been stagnation and inaction by police through what ended up being the final weekend, then I would have been concerned about active retaliation and ‘fighting back’, galvanized by the spirit of the Billings Bridge counter protest. There was definitely an increasingly pissed off part of the population who (understandably) felt abandoned by police.

You mean local residents who were tired of their streets being occupied, people shitting on their lawns and general shenanigans?

Balcony Ricky was about as everyman as you can get for locals; people were just tired of their streets being blocked and the general lack of respect for their general and legitimate concerns on how it was affecting their daily lives.

Ah... so when one group takes to the streets to interrupt Canadians, they are "extreme", "fringe", or "radical", but when another group does the same thing, they are just "concerned citizens" who are fed up with disruptions to their lives...

Ah... so when one group takes to the streets to interrupt Canadians, they are "extreme", "fringe", or "radical", but when another group does the same thing, they are just "concerned citizens" who are fed up with disruptions to their lives...
Yes. Thank you for pointing out exactly what they ended up accomplishing. I hope the civil suit brings everyone the compensation they deserve.

Compensation for hurt feelings and ‘mental distress’ from loud noises. This is Canada so I’m not surprised anymore.

always on the back burner.

want to know how the HLVW wreckers would ruin the streets? am i missing something?

Good Lord can y'all be so far apart on this? There is a middle ground somewhere.
Of course, yes you are right. I think most here agree that the EA was not required. I think that’s our middle ground.

The rest is a bit far apart though.

Its an interesting discussion but I guarantee one thing if someone was honking their horn outside my house for one night every single person in Canada would know who I was. I'm surprised there wasnt an escalation. I would have been bringing all those truckers some nice special fuel to help them out

Its an interesting discussion but I guarantee one thing if someone was honking their horn outside my house for one night every single person in Canada would know who I was. I'm surprised there wasnt an escalation. I would have been bringing all those truckers some nice special fuel to help them out

With our revolving door justice system, taking matters into your own hands has become more attractive to resolve issues quicker.

The downtown Ottawa residence don’t seem like the confrontational types and likely sought a safe space.

With our revolving door justice system, taking matters into your own hands has become more attractive to resolve issues quicker.

The downtown Ottawa residence don’t seem like the confrontational types and likely sought a safe space.
Probably I mean most people avoid confrontation for and for good reason and its a real danger when the police, courts and politicians dont do there jobs. I know I am getting tired of reading every day about criminals who should never see the light of day being released. The Ottawa protest didnt bother me too much because I dont live there so it was and is easy to be a little nonchalant about it

Depending on how it’s done, to what extent, for how long, and their behaviours towards individual people and not just property- yes, that can be exactly true. If you cannot conceive of there being a spectrum between a lawful protest, and an unlawful assembly, that’s on you. I can assure you that there’s a major difference between a couple hundred people marching around blocking intersections for a few hours and then going home, and; a few thousand people with hundreds of vehicles occupying a downtown core, logjamming it with parked vehicles, and laying on truck horns 24/7, preventing thousands of local residents from being able to peacefully use, enjoy, or even sleep in their own property for weeks. Please tell us how you personally would adapt to a dozen trucks idling outside your house randomly hitting their air horns at all hours for a week or two. I suspect you would quickly stop thinking of it as an acceptable or lawful form of protest.

Back