• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Issued Kit

Sir Ranulph Fiennes' choice of glove for arctic/ antarctic expeditions?

View attachment 74745

Where's the mitten strings? I don't see any mitten strings. How does he expect to operate efficiently without mitten strings?

I always thought the trigger mitts were the mutts nutts, but nobody else seemed to appreciate them. There's a pair sitting on top of my snowblower as I type... at least there better be.

I've been following along with this thread for fun. I get that law enforcement does live in the mud and blood and gets to go home every night, but for a few years they issued us a Blauer dark blue v-neck (would have preferred crew) 70% acrylic/30% wool sweater, should and elbow patches plus a wind stopper lining. Best piece of kit in many, many years. They later went to a cheaper sweater that makes everybody look like an British librarian.

I've been following along with this thread for fun. I get that law enforcement does live in the mud and blood and gets to go home every night, but for a few years they issued us a Blauer dark blue v-neck (would have preferred crew) 70% acrylic/30% wool sweater, should and elbow patches plus a wind stopper lining. Best piece of kit in many, many years. They later went to a cheaper sweater that makes everybody look like an British librarian.

I see we work for different agencies, but same same. The old sweater worn by more senior members are in to the double digits as far as years worn.

Us mere junior members replace our issued sweaters nearly by the month, because they pill up like a Q-tip with all the velcro we wear and they tear like kleenex.

I used the army's arctic mitts doing a mining exploration job in Northern Manitoba, we still worked (not efficiently) at -50 and those mitts saved my fingers.

I like them enough, I bought a pair of the Marks version. Pretty much the same awesome mitts.

It’s all of -6 C here with snow and I want my Cadpat fleece back

What have I become? 🤦‍♂️

The Blue long Underwear the Airforce Issued. I still have and wear both sets of them and they work awesome for sitting around outside under a tree in Alberta winters.

When it comes to warmth there is nothing like my whitish submarine turtleneck sweater.

That bit about the gauntlets above reminder me of when I became a driver wheeled in the Militia and being allowed to draw my driver's gauntlets from the QM.

61jwiGRDKmL._AC_SL1051_.jpg

Not really any better than the ordinary leather gloves but one hell of a status symbol to a young 16 year-old.

:giggle:

I keep these handy for muddy yard work during the rainy season, and pack them in the kayak 'just in case'.

1668389186077.png

I actually just dug mine out for hunting in a few weeks. With a norgie sweater underneath, it is actually pretty comfy.

If I go in the drink it's big enough to pull over my wet suit/ dry suit for extra hypothermia protection.

That bit about the gauntlets above reminder me of when I became a driver wheeled in the Militia and being allowed to draw my driver's gauntlets from the QM.

Not really any better than the ordinary leather gloves but one hell of a status symbol to a young 16 year-old.

Driving gauntlets! Did they issue goggles and a silk scarf? Kidding - they look to be good quality leather.

They issued them to us MSE Ops. Transport Operator, as it was known back then. Handy for checking the "bayonet guage".

The big thing was getting your TCE. Hard to get. Easy to lose.

Driving gauntlets! Did they issue goggles and a silk scarf? Kidding - they look to be good quality leather.
These are a representative photo but mine were actually pretty good quality. The cuffs were a bit stiffer than these look to be.

🍻

These are a representative photo but mine were actually pretty good quality. The cuffs were a bit stiffer than these look to be.

🍻

Right. Those are similar, but not identical to the gauntlets we were issued. Those look softer and better quality,

Back