• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty

Ah, thanks for that. Put me foot in me mouth, I did. However, developments regarding the missile defence shield (setting up a site in Thule) is raising some sticky sovereignty questions between Denmark and Greenland. Additionally, it would almost be in Denmarks interest to devolve a sovereignty claim to Greenland. At least Greenland can claim that their Inuit hunters have an established historical use of the area (and the island).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2591283.stm

Most probably know about this already but I thought this was an interesting read: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/08/18/military_narwhal040818.html

Is the Canadian arctic really in threat by anybody?

What General Mackenzie said:

"In other words, get it on the record [so that] in the future, if we're challenged, we have a record of taking this issue seriously. It fulfills a purpose, it puts down a marker, and from a geopolitical point of view, it's certainly important."

Quite simply, it has to be done. If you claim territory, you better ensure you have the ability to patrol it.

Not that anyone is planning to invade our Arctic, but there are some disputes. The Dixon entrance with the US, a small island with Denmark. You can't back down. If we do, they'll start claiming more and more islands.

I'm happy we're doing it. I've been waiting for the CF to do this for awhile now.

"Armed forces managers say they can't remember a bigger military operation in the Arctic."

Certainly one of the largest I remember since 1990.

atticus said:
Is the Canadian arctic really in threat by anybody?

Let me ask you a question back....

If it was all of Quebec south or the St Lawrence river that was under dispute by the US, or Cape Breton Island by the French, would it be worth the time to assert our sovernty thru military exercises there.....

My point, if it belongs to us, we should be able to defend it.

Yesterday I read an article by a CP reporter discussing climate change and the fact that the Northwest Passage is becoming increasingly free of ice- leading some discussion that it should be declared an international waterway and hence no longer under the Soveriegn rule of Canada. As you may know, the Dannes recently planted a flag on some rock in the Artic that Canada claims under its juristiction. Unfortunately the Canadian governemnt has not had as much presence in the North, and unfortunately it is beginning to have international implications.

If you go to http://www.combatcamera.dnd.ca/ , go to photo search, and do a keyword search for "Narwhal" you should be able to find some pictures of the ongoing exercise.  Right at the bottom is poor Roman, stuck outside in Iqaluit, (im)patiently waiting to go off shift as he downloads a huge set of files I sent over.  I'm told he's now considering putting out a contract on me.  ;D

Putting in long hours, but it'll be interesting to see how this all meshes together now there are troops on the ground.

Bograt said:
Yesterday I read an article by a CP reporter discussing climate change and the fact that the Northwest Passage is becoming increasingly free of ice- leading some discussion that it should be declared an international waterway and hence no longer under the Soveriegn rule of Canada. As you may know, the Dannes recently planted a flag on some rock in the Artic that Canada claims under its juristiction. Unfortunately the Canadian governemnt has not had as much presence in the North, and unfortunately it is beginning to have international implications.

Indeed that is a very real consideration.  Besides control of the NorthWest Passage it is also important to consider the vast undersea oil & gas resources in the Beaufort Sea, the potential for a major commercial fishery off Baffin Island, the diamond and other precious metal sites across the North, and finally fresh water.  In a world in which future wars are likely to fought over resources rather than ideological differences it's imperative that we re-assert our sovereignity over the Arctic and continue to do so vigorously.

Furthermore, the exercise scenario is one that is based on actual historical events.  During the mid-'70s a Russian satellite did crash in what is now Nunavut and the CF launched a major operation to locate it and clean-up the junk, some of which was radioactive.

That would be the crash of Cosmos 954 and Operation Morning Light (I find that name very cool  8) ).  It was actually in the NWT proper, with debris stretching from the Great Slave Lake down into northern Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Hmm... I remember my dad talking about a piece of that satillite crashing onto his fathers farm and the military or police comming and picking it up.

T.I.M. said:
That would be the crash of Cosmos 954 and Operation Morning Light (I find that name very cool   8) ).   It was actually in the NWT proper, with debris stretching from the Great Slave Lake down into northern Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Thanks for the elaboration & geographic correction.    Seems to me the impact site was west of Baker Lake which is why I referenced Nunavut.
I presume from the Northern Region badge you're in YK,   I lived up there for 14 years.   How's life in the 'Knife these days?  

Just flipping through the OHPs from 1978, and the Morning Light final report (you can find all sorts of things if you dig deep enough in the library) and they show the debris field extending in the direction of Baker Lake, but the bulk of it was found south of Great Slave, with the furthest east peice being at a place called Warden's Grove near the Thelon/Hanbury river junction, which if my quick map recce serves me is just inside the NWT side of the eastern border with Nunavut.  Of course they didn't bother to search much past there due to the remote location.

As for YK, well, I came up from Winnipeg, so the weather feels somewhat familiar, ditto the mosquitoes; shopping is worse, fishing is better, and my mountain bike is getting the crap kicked out of it on the rocks.  Not sure if I'd want to spend 14 years here, but it seems good enough for 3.  ;)

Thanks for situating me T.I.M.  So in general I can safely presume that the debris was scattered between Lutsel K'E and Baker Lake, straddling both sides of the tree line which is roughly the NWT/Nunavut boundary.  Of course back then Nunavut had yet to be created so the whole arctic was called the NWT.  Stay away from "Range Rats". :salute:

Watching the news tonight, it appears that a Seaking had an engine fire while onboard the Iriquois (sp). A plume of black smoke was visible from the deck of the boat (ship?? (don't know proper Navy lingo). No injuries to crew.

Couldn't have been the Iroquois she is alongside HSL for a refit and Athabaskan been alongside as ready duty ship.

Appropos to satellite crashes ... a bud of mine tells me that the Sea King aboard HMCS Montreal caught fire today. Nobody hurt luckily, but a sad commentary on the CF's ability to enforce our sovereignty with 41-year-old choppers.

What Shec wrote earlier about access to undersea oil reserves in the Beaufort Sea and surrounding area
is quite correct in my opinion.  If the central asian, Iraq, and middle east areas continue to be trouble spots,
then other locations of oil will become more important.  Many countries (EU, China, US) may want free access
to these locations as well.  At worst, the Canadian Arctic may continue to evolve like that of the Spratley
Islands in the South China Sea and contensious issues between China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and
Singapour.    At the best, Canada will have to become more politically involved in northern oil
exploration/access, sovergnity, and establishing negotiating control within boundary lines.

Bert said:
...   At the best, Canada will have to become more politically involved in northern oil
exploration/access, sovergnity, and establishing negotiating control within boundary lines.

Exactly.  Exploration has been actively pursued for the past several years.  Very soon the construction of a pipeline along the MacKenzie River Valley to carry natural gas from the Beaufort Sea will likely be announced.  That pipeline will spur massive development of the gas fields that have been identified.  THat pipeline, and its source fields will have to be defended.  And because the pipeline will carry Alaskan as well as Canadian gas to markets in both countries if we can't defend you can bet the Yanks will.  And we know what that means don't we? 

The Mackenzie Valley pipeline is unlikely to carry Alaskan natural gas.  The state of Alaska is still pursuing their own pipeline south from Prudhoe Bay, following the route of the Alaska Pipeline until Fairbanks, and then following the Alaska Highway to meet up with the current pipeline network in northern Alberta.

Because the construction of a pipeline involves a lot of economic benefits, Canada and the US were unable to agree on how to split up the contracts if the route went directly east from Prudhoe Bay to Inuvik (which would also involve the pipeline passing through ANWR, which would be politically difficult).  I think it's farcical to have two pipelines built so close to each other, but that's probably what's going to happen.

The last I heard was that the   US Congress, or maybe the it was the Senate, endorsed the MacKenzie Valley route.   That plan includes a tie-in pipeline connecting the Alaskan field to the Canadian one and then running everything down the Mac. Valley.   While  the route following the Alaskan Highway has the right of ways already approved it is the more expensive to build.   The route from Prudhoe Bay to the port of Valdez raises the spectre of LNG tankers posing a threat to the cities along the Pacific seaboard, something that scares the environmentalists more than ANWR.

Environmental approvals are the determinant that have been delaying the final decision by Canada.   However, my guess is the Mackenzie Valley route will be the one selected, especially since Aboriginal groups are on-side.   However your point about the contracts is well taken.     Should the Mac Valley route be rejected it could delay development of the Canadian fields by at least 10 - 20 years.

Just to clarify the source of my earlier comments, this is what I've heard from friends in the industry in Anchorage, but nothing official.  Some more concrete reports (found on www.rigzone.com) show the decision about the route is still up in the air, but nothing to report since April.  The Mackenzie Valley project is definitely further along, and will probably gather enough momentum while the Americans dither to become a fait accompli.  As for the proposed pipeline to a Valdez LNG plant, I agree with you that there's no chance of that happening for a good 30 years yet, if ever.

Back