• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Under the CPC the companies were concerned about the Social Licence issues, but at least the regulatory burden, while heavy, but was not catastrophic. We predicted that Bill C-69 would torpedo the projects that were hanging on and it did. There are significantly fewer project under review since JT changed the game, than before. Only projects like Site C and LNGCanada which were grandfathered under the old Acts continued.
Wasn't the CPC making progress in re-writing rules to get more First Nations on side with pipeline development? As you say, the key stumbling block back then was First Nations and International NGOs fighting the issue on the basis of social licence. Now the block seems to me to be squarely in the Federal Government's Environment caucus.

Wasn't the CPC making progress in re-writing rules to get more First Nations on side with pipeline development? As you say, the key stumbling block back then was First Nations and International NGOs fighting the issue on the basis of social licence. Now the block seems to me to be squarely in the Federal Government's Environment caucus.
They got the less radical nations on side. But there are many factions and elements, often inside each FN.

Imagine with another 0.50-0.75% prime rate increase next week and a Recession starting in the new year, 2025 could look like CPC majority, Bloc in opposition and Green following Bloc thereafter?

IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg

Somebody better find a legacy project to pursue, and fast.

Imagine with another 0.50-0.75% prime rate increase next week and a Recession starting in the new year, 2025 could look like CPC majority, Bloc in opposition and Green following Bloc thereafter?

View attachment 80725
View attachment 80726

I am happy to see JT and team crashing. And I am interested in giving PP a shot.

That aside I have trouble with 39% of the population getting 194 ( +/- ) seats in the HOC; or 57% of the seats.

This is the kind of thing that makes people think their vote doesn't matter. We need to fix this.

This is the kind of thing that makes people think their vote doesn't matter.
Yes. With interest rates likely still to rise and the looming recession well on its way, there may come a point where people start to ask seriously why the citizens have no power. There is only so long that hubris and arrogance can pretend that there isn’t a significant problem. JT’s ego will probably be able to handle only so much critique (and in some cases outright mockery) before he will feel compelled to brag that he has now made the difference that Canada needed and it is time for him to hand the Liberal flame to the next holder of the flame…although it may very well be very much like the Mulroney-Campbell hand off…a stinking pile of poo and very few seats in the House.

Yes. With interest rates likely still to rise and the looming recession well on its way, there may come a point where people start to ask seriously why the citizens have no power. There is only so long that hubris and arrogance can pretend that there isn’t a significant problem. JT’s ego will probably be able to handle only so much critique (and in some cases outright mockery) before he will feel compelled to brag that he has now made the difference that Canada needed and it is time for him to hand the Liberal flame to the next holder of the flame…although it may very well be very much like the Mulroney-Campbell hand off…a stinking pile of poo and very few seats in the House.

This isn't a JT or PP problem. And you cant blame them. This is a feature (or bug?) of our electoral system and it needs to be fixed.

This isn't a JT or PP problem. And you cant blame them. This is a feature (or bug?) of our electoral system and it needs to be fixed.
The larger problem is that with every course action there are strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Every course of action needs to be managed to achieve the desired outcome. Management is done by people. Their sense of the desired outcome may not be mine or yours.

The move from First Past The Post to any other form of electoral process, would be a form of political seppuku for whomever institutes it.

Majorities would be a thing of the past and there would be many more coalitions/minority governments in our future. Does it mean that things are more representative? Ofcourse. Does it necessarily mean we'd have a less dysfunctional legislature? I sincerely doubt it.

Voter apathy is at an all time high around the world. Short of legislating mandatory voting, like Australia, there will be variable turnout.

Simple solution. Fix the Senate so it can perform its intended role of protecting the interests of the Provinces/Regions against the Commons.
A functional senate, that even if appointed, would be equal numbers for all provinces (say 10 ea.) and an equitable/scaled number for territories (perhaps 5 ea), and have relatively stabilizing procedures for how senators could be appointed, perhaps semi-tied to concurrence by the respective provincial governments (yes I know, not perfect, but would be hard to argue that it wouldn’t be supportive of the will of the people provincially at the time). General spitballing, but aiming to at least somewhat respect the intent of the higher House in the Westminster system. Today it’s a farce…”checks and balances” seems to have as much meaning at the moment as the word “inconceivable”… 😉

A functional senate, that even if appointed, would be equal numbers for all provinces (say 10 ea.) and an equitable/scaled number for territories (perhaps 5 ea), and have relatively stabilizing procedures for how senators could be appointed, perhaps semi-tied to concurrence by the respective provincial governments (yes I know, not perfect, but would be hard to argue that it wouldn’t be supportive of the will of the people provincially at the time). General spitballing, but aiming to at least somewhat respect the intent of the higher House in the Westminster system. Today it’s a farce…”checks and balances” seems to have as much meaning at the moment as the word “inconceivable”… 😉
I'm not a fan of Proportional Representation for the HOC. I want a specific person in my Riding that I can hold responsible for how he/she represents my interests in the government.

However I think that Proportional Representation could work for the Senate. Distribute the Senate seats for each Province proportionally based on the results of the PROVINCIAL elections. That means that the Senators represent the interests of the Provincial Parties rather than the Federal Parties so they aren't beholden to the same leaders/interests as the MPs in the HOC.

The move from First Past The Post to any other form of electoral process, would be a form of political seppuku for whomever institutes it.

Majorities would be a thing of the past and there would be many more coalitions/minority governments in our future. Does it mean that things are more representative? Ofcourse. Does it necessarily mean we'd have a less dysfunctional legislature? I sincerely doubt it.

Voter apathy is at an all time high around the world. Short of legislating mandatory voting, like Australia, there will be variable turnout.

At its core our HOC is supposed to be the peoples representation. And 39% (using todays numbers) should not be giving anyone majority control of the country.

I'm not claiming to have the answers, I just know, deep down, someone with 39% of the popular vote should not get the majority position in our government.

Agreed.

I would also add term limits, and a scaling of benefits weighed against what you have earned and your entitlements from your prior employment. Its time to start making it a service to the country for the greater good and less about service for self.

Yes. With interest rates likely still to rise and the looming recession well on its way, there may come a point where people start to ask seriously why the citizens have no power.
I wouldn’t bank on a recession any time soon. Recent news has economists and such lowering the chance to below 50% chance at this point for the next year.

Interest rates though won’t be going down for at least 3 quarters though and that will have an effect on the voters.

I'm not a fan of Proportional Representation for the HOC. I want a specific person in my Riding that I can hold responsible for how he/she represents my interests in the government.

However I think that Proportional Representation could work for the Senate. Distribute the Senate seats for each Province proportionally based on the results of the PROVINCIAL elections. That means that the Senators represent the interests of the Provincial Parties rather than the Federal Parties so they aren't beholden to the same leaders/interests as the MPs in the HOC.
I'm a big proponent of such a system as well.

It would encourage a much more veritable form of federalism, akin to the EU's, in which we'd be a federation of provinces, not merely provinces of a federation.

I'm not sold on whether a province's delegation should reflect that province's legislature or its government, however. I lean towards the latter. Another option is to retain the current system, but have nominations be done by the respective lieutenant-governors-in-council.

I wouldn’t bank on a recession any time soon. Recent news has economists and such lowering the chance to below 50% chance at this point for the next year.

Interest rates though won’t be going down for at least 3 quarters though and that will have an effect on the voters.
Some in Canada are predicting sunny ways and smooth sailing, but our economy is heavily resource focused and we know that the current government is policy-bound and actions-proven to not seek to maximize the productivity of large portions of Canada’s resource base. Theyre sticking with virtuous words and pixie dust to fuel economic recovery.

Down South, it’s still much more uncertain, many predicting the US will go into mild recession somewhere around 24Q3. If they do, I have a hard time seeing Canada avoid it…particularly since there seems to be no intent for the Government to adjust to increase productivity, particularly with increased global uncertainty.

Back