• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

See also

Strong correlation between indigenous population and homicide rates.
It's a dreadful thing.

Some time ago I looked into OIS incidents in Quebec over the last couple decades, and a very large proportion involved Amerindians.

If it were easy to do that, it would've been done already, at least in the Maritimes. That area was supposed to have joined as a single province with ON and QC to form Canada, but PEI got cold feet at the last moment. That forced NB and NS to join separately, setting things up for what we have now. Easier to split up than convince people to form a bigger unit as they will feel that they would have less of a voice in a larger entity.
As an idea, nothing wrong with uniting the West and Maritimes into super provinces, but would never get the politicians to agree.

It would be a challenge, certainly. Those politicians would need some guarantees, and so would the absorbed polities.

I agree with your assessment that the francophone Acadians present one of the tougher obstacles. Perhaps create their equivalent to article 40 of the constitution, or some framework in the spirit of: "40 Where an amendment is made under subsection 38(1) that transfers provincial legislative powers relating to education or other cultural matters from provincial legislatures to Parliament, Canada shall provide reasonable compensation to any province to which the amendment does not apply."

Or, although probably much less palatable, split the territory along linguistic lines between Quebec and the newly constituted province.

Are you kidding? Hell yes the Toronto media calls us the Murder Capital of Canada already. Anything else is an improvement
As @mariomike pointed out, Winnipeg, murder capital? Hold my beer ....

Just had our 46th last night

No more so than any other region that feels underrepresented, or like they have no say in the outcome of elections...

Not that anywhere in the Maritimes has a whole ton of pull, but they would probably have more in a union with NB and NS.

Not that anywhere in the Maritimes has a whole ton of pull, but they would probably have more in a union with NB and NS.

Tangentially, I thought this was a good - if unintentional - ad for Maritime living... for some people :)

I'm sober but live in a drinking town. Dating is complicated​

Dating is complicated for Robyn Schleihauf, who has been sober for three years but lives in Nova Scotia where drinking is ubiquitous.

Last edited:
The two main things standing in the way of a Maritime union are PEI (as with original confederation, they are worried about losing their voice in a bigger union) and the Acadians. I doubt a Maritime union would be officially bilingual (like NB is now) as there would be a large Anglophone majority with this union, making the Acadians even a smaller minority.
There's a large population on Cape Breton that can't speak English either, so a three way tie for first. :sneaky:

It's a dreadful thing.

Some time ago I looked into OIS incidents in Quebec over the last couple decades, and a very large proportion involved Amerindians.

No real surprise when you have three or four generations pretty screwed up by the residential schools, forced relocation etc in the last 100 years trying to raise the next one. I think that's what they had in mind with 'intergenerational trauma'.

There's a large population on Cape Breton that can't speak English either, so a three way tie for first. :sneaky:
Cape Breton was its own separate colony for several decades, but later rejoined to NS. Wonder how much separatist sentiment is there? You might see them want to secede from a Maritime union claiming protection for Gaelic language and culture rights.

If you aren't Indigenous, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I live right in the heart of Fort William and I'm certain 99% of the murders are Indigenous murdering other Indigenous.

They send all the problem children from Northern Communities as well who inevitably end up getting in to drugs and living on the street.

The few New Brunswick Acadians I met absolutely detested Québécois. I doubt they would go for that.
I lived in NB when I was young, and I can say that is true. Acadians speak a different kind of French than Quebecois and are very proud of their Acadian language and culture.

It’s the same for most Francophone communities outside QC.
Herein we see the “moral superiority “ complex Quebec thinks it has. It sees itself as the Protector of French Canadian language and society. It’s not unlike the Saudis and Islam.

Herein we see the “moral superiority “ complex Quebec thinks it has. It sees itself as the Protector of French Canadian language and society. It’s not unlike the Saudis and Islam.
It has a lot to do with having that moral superior attitude and being completely ignorant (willfully or otherwise) that Franco communities exist outside their borders.

I'm not so sure. Right now three entities get to sit at federal-provincial conferences, sent delegates to Ottawa and otherwise whine for federal dollar. I think fewer but geographically larger provinces would be gift to the federal government and create further imbalance.

Back