• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister Anand announces investment of up to $3.7 billion to supply operational clothing and footwear to the Canadian Armed Forces

If someone was cynical, they would assume the entire system was designed so nobody could ever be held accountable for any decision.
The issue with this (like most things procurement related) is that a need arises, it's pushed up to procurement to fulfill that need, it becomes scrutinized to the point of incompetence, the procurement gets bogged down, and the troops end up paying out of pocket because the need hasn't gone away.

70K for new collar badges is a drop in the bucket, but 20 bucks a pair to a PI 3 Pte hitting the food bank in Kingston may be a Bridge Too Far.

I guarantee that this almost $4B going to Logistik Unicorps for operational clothing would have been better spent developing a "BOOTFORGEN"esque SoI criteria for troops to find their gear, order on Amazon, and get reimbursed for it.

But in all of this, it doesn't put money back in the coffers of TBS so it dies on the vine while Bloggins gets what he needs with his own King's Shilling.

Criminal

It's the current CADPAT, in black.

Yes, I am aware. I was joking that in black, it looks like something you'd see on henchmen being gunned down by James Bond.

(Also, just to be pedantic, CADPAT is the camouflage pattern - Canadian Disruptive Pattern. The new style combats are officially the Enhanced Combat Uniform, or ECU, but "combats" gets the point across just fine)

The issue with this (like most things procurement related) is that a need arises, it's pushed up to procurement to fulfill that need, it becomes scrutinized to the point of incompetence, the procurement gets bogged down, and the troops end up paying out of pocket because the need hasn't gone away.

70K for new collar badges is a drop in the bucket, but 20 bucks a pair to a PI 3 Pte hitting the food bank in Kingston may be a Bridge Too Far.

I guarantee that this almost $4B going to Logistik Unicorps for operational clothing would have been better spent developing a "BOOTFORGEN"esque SoI criteria for troops to find their gear, order on Amazon, and get reimbursed for it.

But in all of this, it doesn't put money back in the coffers of TBS so it dies on the vine while Bloggins gets what he needs with his own King's Shilling.

Criminal

For political observers, it is often hard to pinpoint what exactly Jagmeet Singh stands for. Other, that is, than nice suits, flogging furniture on Instagram, and TikTok videos. But whatever political commitments he lacks, it is clear what he abhors most of all: responsibility, particularly his own.

I have until very recently worked in the depot at 7 CFSD now directly work with both of them and what that guy said was essentially wrong/entirely misleading.

There are inefficiencies at the depots but not in the way outlined by that person nor is it irreparably broken.
Thanks I appreciate the correction

There are 3300 RegF Sigs PYs. At $19.95 a pair someone could just cut a cheque for $70,000 and buy everyone a set. Instead, PSPC will require a SRCL and Disabilities Act statement, as well as argue we can't tell the bidders exactly what colour blue goes in the flags. It's not a broken supply system, its a broken procurement system that treats $70K of metals badges the same as buying 90 F35s.

I've argued this very point for years. The CFSS manages the materials in CAF inventories and the procurement system fills that inventory.

What does this mean for BOOTFORGEN?
This is the more important part. This could destroy the only thing the CAF has gotten right in… ever. Everyone has been hoping that we never get to the next phase. What’s the odds that this outfit is going to carry Lowa Renegades in 8 Wide?

Last edited:
This is the more important part. This could destroy the only thing the CAF has gotten right in… every. Everyone has been hoping that we never get to the next phase. What’s the odds that this outfit is going to carry Lowa Renegades in 8 Wide?
Wasn't the original intent to have a list of approved boots as the "next phase"?

But yes, BOOTFORGEN is one of the few changes that no one seems to complain about. I'm sure there's some dinosaur grumbling about lack of polish though.

I bought mine because my Jimmy's died an honourable death the night before Remembrance Day 2021.

The approach of some within the RCCS towards that whole thing embarrasses most of us. I'm glad it was quashed quickly by the Corps CWO.

What thing was that?

Got it from Puckchasers answer.

What thing was that?
RCCS received authorization to return to our traditional Collar Badges in 2020. The prototypes were being sold for purchase through our kit shop and were specifically for if folks wanted them as optional wear. D RCCS stated they were not to be ordered to be worn until they were available from Clothing Stores.

A unit RSM tried to order members to purchase them to have uniformity using the argument that members were receiving enough Compensation and Benefits to afford them.

Well the anonymous post on reddit attracted some attention from the Corps leadership who was very much not impressed with this and the Corps CWO was very quick to clarify with said RSM the policy on the change.

It's been a source of ridicule ever since.

Copy, Tks. I didn’t update my above post fast enough! 😬

This highlights another issue that I think exists. Why would the Corps CWO need to become involved in something a unit CO could resolve (unless it was the unit CO direction thru the RSM)?

CWOs don’t command; local Officers can easily override/quash bad decisions made at the Chief level.

Last edited:
Wasn't the original intent to have a list of approved boots as the "next phase"?

But yes, BOOTFORGEN is one of the few changes that no one seems to complain about. I'm sure there's some dinosaur grumbling about lack of polish though.
We’ve never been able to fully/properly implement anything in a timely manner. It would be unfortunate if this were the only exception.

Well the anonymous post on reddit attracted some attention from the Corps leadership who was very much not impressed with this and the Corps CWO was very quick to clarify with said RSM the policy on the change.
"Some attention" is a bit of an understatement.

I can honestly say this is the first I’d heard of it but I am not a regular on Reddit…
Probably better that way for blood pressure and/or rage reasons.

It's great for quick admin help and stuff, but it's toxic in the "everyone more senior than a Cpl is an idiot and doesn't know what they're doing" way. They also have a huge hate on for this site bc apparently we're all dinosaurs on here who need to retire.

Their Salty Cpl Saturday memes are really good though - that's what I'm really there for.

I haven't really been on it since I was banned for some reason.

Copy, Tks. I didn’t update my above post fast enough! 😬

This highlights another issue that I think exists. Why would the Corps CWO need to become involved in something a unit CO could resolve (unless it was the unit CO direction thru the RSM)?

CWOs don’t command; local Officers can easily override/quash bad decisions made at the Chief level.
RSMs are the authority on the 4 Ds within the Army. They don't have command, however, they wield a lot of influence, especially within the "Command Team" model we seem so hot and horny for over the past 10-15 years.

Having a "peer to peer" conversation from the Corps CWO (who was, conveniently the one who helped draft the directive in the first place) may have been a way to save face without having Mom and Dad fighting in front of the kids.

Army life is it's own unique sub culture it seems within the CAF.

RSMs are the authority on the 4 Ds within the Army. They don't have command, however, they wield a lot of influence, especially within the "Command Team" model we seem so hot and horny for over the past 10-15 years.

I spent 17 years in tan and green DEU, I get the way it works. I’m saying RSMs aren’t the overall authority; 265 even tells us this. We as the CAF just need to follow the pub. Officers can, do and should override stupid things like this at local levels.

I’m a believer that the CT Concept has gone too far with the NCM half thinking they command too.

Having a "peer to peer" conversation from the Corps CWO (who was, conveniently the one who helped draft the directive in the first place) may have been a way to save face without having Mom and Dad fighting in front of the kids.

Army life is it's own unique sub culture it seems within the CAF.

If the directive was issued by the RCCS Boss, the unit CO should and could have sorted the RSM out.

If that embarrasses the RSM, that would be their own cause. I don’t believe COs should ever be hesitant at controlling their subs at any point, including CWOs and other Officers.

If they are gunshy at that task…

If the directive was issued by the RCCS Boss, the unit CO should and could have sorted the RSM out.

If that embarrasses the RSM, that would be their own cause. I don’t believe COs should ever be hesitant at controlling their subs at any point, including CWOs and other Officers.

If they are gunshy at that task…
I have no idea how the timeline transpired but I wouldn't be surprised if the unit CO hadn't even heard of it in time until:
  1. The Reddit post was made
  2. Corps staff read said post
  3. Corps staff told the Corps CWO
Unit COs are generally pretty busy people and "buttons and bows" stuff is probably delegated to their RSM and/or Adjt. It's totally possible that points 1-3 happened before the CO even caught wind of the RSM pulling this crap.

Back