• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

"Hey, you! Want to work more hours and not get overtime?"

Hey you! Want to get away on the weekend? Drive back country trails? Shoot on the government's dime? Make loud noises? Learn how to communicate over long distances? And get your beer paid for? And maybe put your skills to the use of a community in need?

Hey you! Want to get away on the weekend? Drive back country trails? Shoot on the government's dime? Make loud noises? Learn how to communicate over long distances? And get your beer paid for? And maybe put your skills to the use of a community in need?

Additional thought -

When called out why not look at paying tradespeople at union scale? How badly do you want them?

Be good that.

Does the CF accept civilian trades quals?
Some yes, example cooks, mechanics, but our PLAR system is frankly slower then dirt. I have a mechanic who has to go on his DP1 cause his PLAR isn't expected to be completed for a year. So we the army are sending him on a course on how to properly use hand tools, even though he is a ticketed mechanic because of how slow our system is.

Last edited:
What do you envision a PRes ESR doing? There already is a PRes construction engineering unit primarily in Nova Scotia. It’s RCAF, but I don’t know that the region can support two such units on top of each other (especially considering how nearly impossible it is to train PRes construction tradespersons). Maybe the squadron in Fredericton could take-over an EROC suite, but the vehicle maintenance would still fall back to being a 4 ESR problem.
I'll try to contain my disappointment with this question, but let me just throw this out there.

The US Army National Guard has 9 ARNG Engineer Brigades with roughly two battalions apiece across the country while the US Army Reserve has two Engineer Theatre Commands with a total of four engineer brigades which themselves have a total of 18 Engineer battalions. My guess is that they can find something for them to do.

But lets just get real. In times of national disasters engineer battalions, especially heavy equipment ones are invaluable. On operations, even ones as small as Canada's has a use for theatre level (NCE, NSE level) engineering resources for camp construction, vertical and horizontal facilities construction and maintenance and thus leaving the combat engineers free to concentrate on direct manoeuvre unit/formation support.

Can the region support two such units - sure it can. They can share equipment for training and if required on operations, domestic or expeditionary can rent equipment. Sure 4 ESR would look after the military equipment since we're too damn cheap to buy more or to set up a proper equipment maintenance strategy for the ResF.

Training - nothing simpler - use community colleges trade courses for plumbers, carpenters, electricians and heavy equipment operators, etc. You can pay their tuition and get an obligatory service commitment. Then run a small conversion course onto military equipment.

Let me put it this way; support engineers are probably the easiest to train if one puts ones mind to it and will be a highly valuable asset.

Regretfully, people seem to see difficulties where there aren't any and don't bother to look for the solutions or the benefits. The Canadian Army continues to be an institution that thinks small and plans for very little when it comes to how to expand the force beyond its RegF footprint.

Let's be honest. The Canadian Army's basic structure and methodology was set in the 1950s with its Korea and NATO expansion and a flip to the RegF forces-in-being concept. Ever since then the Army's primary objective has been to retain as much of that RegF structure as budgets allow. Even while its numbers have dropped dramatically, its only gone down from four brigades to three plus a significant special forces element and a plethora of headquarters. The point here is that the Army is trying to hold on to the past so much by fine tuning that it has not made much effort in trying to redefine itself in a meaningful way for the future. The greatest sign of that is that while clinging to every PY it has gone cheap on equipment, dropping critical capabilities and leaving its ResF component unequipped and undertrained.

Creating a ResF ESR in the Maritimes is basically a no-brainer. Yes, there are challenges but they are far from insurmountable and the result would pay dividends.

🍻

Does the CF accept civilian trades quals?
It’s complicated, but not without solutions.

The CAF generally does not directly mirror civilian trades, even where it looks like we do. We tend to take two or three trades, strip out the bits that we don’t need, and then smash those together into a single thing. Other times, we may take the core of a civilian trade and bolt-on a bunch of additional skills.

For the peacetime and on small missions, it lets us send one military tradesperson to do a job that requires three civi trades. This does not led itself well to accepting civilian trade qualifications without additional training to cover the skill/knowledge delta.

But, our current trades are designed for the relatively small missions we’ve know for the past decades. Until very recently, we maintained a whole separate set of occupations defined for the special force (or rather, these were sub-occupations of the Reg F chimera trades). The practice has fallen out of vogue (probably because we would never see another major war against a peer, right) and these special force occupations are being removed as occ specs are being updated.

But if we were to bring them back, they would provide an ideal framework for PRes “secondary MOS” with more direct equivalencies to civilian trades. In the event of a big war necessitating the special force, the super-polyvalent RegF tradesperson no longer provides efficiency because you still need as many people to get all the work done. But efficiency can be had from specialization. So all the civi trades that got mashed into one RegF occupation were often found pulled apart in the special force sub-occupations.

It’s complicated, but not without solutions.

The CAF generally does not directly mirror civilian trades, even where it looks like we do. We tend to take two or three trades, strip out the bits that we don’t need, and then smash those together into a single thing. Other times, we may take the core of a civilian trade and bolt-on a bunch of additional skills.

For the peacetime and on small missions, it lets us send one military tradesperson to do a job that requires three civi trades. This does not led itself well to accepting civilian trade qualifications without additional training to cover the skill/knowledge delta.

But, our current trades are designed for the relatively small missions we’ve know for the past decades. Until very recently, we maintained a whole separate set of occupations defined for the special force (or rather, these were sub-occupations of the Reg F chimera trades). The practice has fallen out of vogue (probably because we would never see another major war against a peer, right) and these special force occupations are being removed as occ specs are being updated.

But if we were to bring them back, they would provide an ideal framework for PRes “secondary MOS” with more direct equivalencies to civilian trades. In the event of a big war necessitating the special force, the super-polyvalent RegF tradesperson no longer provides efficiency because you still need as many people to get all the work done. But efficiency can be had from specialization. So all the civi trades that got mashed into one RegF occupation were often found pulled apart in the special force sub-occupations.

How much could be accomplished by having a single general mechanic or artificer trade with their file endorsed for particular skills?

A single anything will not do much of any help. Value comes when you have a few hundred across the country.

Some. Not medics though.
I thought medics were different, in that to be a PRes Medic you had to be paramedic qualified on your own. If you were not paramedic qualified then you were some different category of the medical trades.

I thought medics were different, in that to be a PRes Medic you had to be paramedic qualified on your own. If you were not paramedic qualified then you were some different category of the medical trades.

Yes. Medics are different.... ;)

1658245604243.png

Some yes, example cooks, mechanics, but our PLAR system is frankly slower then dirt. I have a mechanic who has to go on his DP1 cause his PLAR isn't expected to be completed for a year. So we the army are sending him on a course on how to properly use hand tools, even though he is a ticketed mechanic because of how slow our system is.
I have 2 troops doing their IS Tech OJE in one of my sections:

-1st dude has a Bachelor's of IT from NAIT, with 4 years working as an enterprise server admin for Suncor

-2nd dude did 15 years with CSIS as a network engineer with more certifications than half my staff.

I have initiated PLARs for both these troops, who honestly should be working at a mich higher pay rate than what we currently are giving them.

As much as I would harp on CTC G7 for taking forever and a day to process a PLAR, I also will point the finger at CFRG for not initiating it upon enrollment, as well as on my Corps writ large for adding in just enough "Armyism" to the JBS/QSTP that a direct Skilled Entry isn't a thing for our trades... even though we are spending out the ass to train folks, as well as bleeding qualified people from the middle.

as well as on my Corps writ large for adding in just enough "Armyism" to the JBS/QSTP that a direct Skilled Entry isn't a thing for our trades... even though we are spending out the ass to train folks, as well as bleeding qualified people from the middle.
Therein lies the problem for most of many of our skilled trades.

If the specs were written and given in two modules--the first with the basic civilian trade skills as would be used in getting a ticket punched in the civilian industry; and the second as an add-on conversion package to teach the peculiar military skills needed to function in that trade--it would go a long way especially if the second module was also available independently after the first one. A recruit off the street would get both modules with the CAF (preferably also getting his civilian ticket stamped at the same time) and a skilled candidate who already has the civilian qualification would just take the second module.

🍻

I have 2 troops doing their IS Tech OJE in one of my sections:

-1st dude has a Bachelor's of IT from NAIT, with 4 years working as an enterprise server admin for Suncor

-2nd dude did 15 years with CSIS as a network engineer with more certifications than half my staff.

I have initiated PLARs for both these troops, who honestly should be working at a mich higher pay rate than what we currently are giving them.

As much as I would harp on CTC G7 for taking forever and a day to process a PLAR, I also will point the finger at CFRG for not initiating it upon enrollment, as well as on my Corps writ large for adding in just enough "Armyism" to the JBS/QSTP that a direct Skilled Entry isn't a thing for our trades... even though we are spending out the ass to train folks, as well as bleeding qualified people from the middle.
And for not running a once yearly "bridging course" that covers only the mil specific content, a well as a better way of ranking up (after the appropriate leadership training) to the rank level their skill level would normally be.

As an example if a Critical Care Paramedic with flight experience and a decade of leading small teams and incident command gets sucessfully recruited as a medic. After basic he is looking at being unable to use those skills for 6+ years as he takes the various military medical courses often taught by those with less real world experience or breadth of knowledge and waits his turn to get the leadership courses to promote to Sgt.

Wanna bet what the retention rate to that point is?

And for not running a once yearly "bridging course" that covers only the mil specific content, a well as a better way of ranking up (after the appropriate leadership training) to the rank level their skill level would normally be.

As an example if a Critical Care Paramedic with flight experience and a decade of leading small teams and incident command gets sucessfully recruited as a medic. After basic he is looking at being unable to use those skills for 6+ years as he takes the various military medical courses often taught by those with less real world experience or breadth of knowledge and waits his turn to get the leadership courses to promote to Sgt.

Wanna bet what the retention rate to that point is?
The RCMS and RCCS have a similar problem in the sense that we both want to recruit and employ professionally trained talent; but not at the going market rate and with a belief that "our way is best way."

I tried to get buy in to see if we could get our curriculum recognized by CIPS (Canada's IT Professional Association), but that initiative fell on deaf ears.

"If we get them certifications, no one will stay!"

On the contrary, nothing is getting folks to stay, so let's try something different for once.

The RCMS and RCCS have a similar problem in the sense that we both want to recruit and employ professionally trained talent; but not at the going market rate and with a belief that "our way is best way."

I tried to get buy in to see if we could get our curriculum recognized by CIPS (Canada's IT Professional Association), but that initiative fell on deaf ears.

"If we get them certifications, no one will stay!"

On the contrary, nothing is getting folks to stay, so let's try something different for once.

Another reason not to pitch the CAF as a training establishment. Hired trained personnel.

And here's another question: is the trade expected to perform under enemy fire? If not does that person need to be on uniformed strength?

I suggest that there are many professionals who would be willing to offer their services on a part time basis if they could continue with their primary career as well.

Back