• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CO of Hal relieved

I'll speak to this.

One word: Somalia. The politicians (in and out of uniform) thought that Canadians could not accept the fact we had accomplished our mission but had to defend ourselves. Goes against the whole "Canadians are peacekeepers" bullshit narrative that we wore blue berets and everyone loved us.

I did write a paper for OPMEs to determine if peacekeeping was a fatal distraction. It isn't but the CAF has to be careful.
Agreed. I think this is why Mali was a quick and forgettable affair for this government.

Peacekeeping in the 21st century is COIN with less tools. People die and thats bad optics.The second a ramp ceremony again, when we were "back to Blue Beret happy joy joy" operations... we lose the "no need for expensive stuff, constabulatory peacekeeping CAF" of yesteryear Trudeau grew up with.

Anything that deviates from that narrative is suspect, including that money sink organization that occupies both coasts.

Cue Freddie Mercury singing "Another one bites the dust" as CO Regina has now been relieved as well.

So confusion from me here...

A LCdr is normally not the CO of a frigate, even one in the ditch.

LCdr David Dallin was the XO of HMCS Regina and was scheduled to be replaced with a full command team turnover last week. There was a Change of Command Parade for the new incoming CO I think on Tuesday/Wednesday IIRC.

Something doesn't line up here, unless the old CO was rowed ashore and the XO was temporarily the CO until the new CO arrived... but that's not normally the way things work either.

LCdr David Dallin was the XO of HMCS Regina and was scheduled to be replaced with a full command team turnover last week. There was a Change of Command Parade for the new incoming CO I think on Tuesday/Wednesday IIRC.

Something doesn't line up here, unless the old CO was rowed ashore and the XO was temporarily the CO until the new CO arrived... but that's not normally the way things work either.

Agreed, it is an unusual situation.

Agreed, it is an unusual situation.
Maybe the XO was the incoming CO and hadn't been promoted to the position yet? That's not unheard of but normally you aren't XO straight into CO either. There is at least a posting in between.

On the bright side it's a good recruiting tool.

"lots of promotion oppertunities in the navy"

On the bright side it's a good recruiting tool.

"lots of promotion oppertunities in the navy"

Cheers to a sickly season and a poor behavior

Maybe the XO was the incoming CO and hadn't been promoted to the position yet? That's not unheard of but normally you aren't XO straight into CO either. There is at least a posting in between.

Perhaps. It was a shore office, so I imagine silly buggers with high rank / low rank is easier played.

Musical chairs ships?

March 11

March 12

We are slowly catching up with Russia on forced change of commands…

I think the skipper was posted earlier and the XO was acting CO. Edit; see @Blackadder1916 's post above. That kind of shuffle is normal to get the skippers some actual sea time.

Honestly no real reason to have a Cdr for a ship in a 2 year refit; basically down to a platoon sized crew in shore office, with a lot of them on courses etc. On older classes the EO would take over the CO role as they were LCdrs, but having an NWO do it means someone else can deal with the pers admin side of things and leave the engineers and log to just support the DWP. Could easily leave the CO job vacant for a year and no one would really notice.

All you really need is someone with the presiding officer course that can do the divisional support, but if the Navy wants to give someone the golden moustache for a shore office tour then I guess that's up to them.

I'm not a medals hound but doesn't that CPO1 seem to be a little light in the deployment area? Or am I missing something?
Have to cut criteria down to 5 days in the ops box, don't want anyone left out!

Just an observation, noticed that the officer in the pic doesn't have the executive curl on his rank insignia. I thought all naval officers had changed over in 2010 (or so).

Just an observation, noticed that the officer in the pic doesn't have the executive curl on his rank insignia. I thought all naval officers had changed over in 2010 (or so).

It's there, you're just not seeing enough of his sleeve cuff.

I'm not a medals hound but doesn't that CPO1 seem to be a little light in the deployment area? Or am I missing something?
West coast was pretty medal opportunity deficient in the last 10 years. This is one of the reasons they brought the Sea Service Ensignia. She might have a gold anchor over there... lots of sea days, not many medals.

Back