• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From the French navy to Canadian navy

Glamdring

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi
Me and my girlfriend are planing to move to Canada.
I will easily find a job but my girlfriend would like to stay in the army. Almost all is family was or is in the navy for generations. She entered the reserve navy when she was 16 (she’s 36 now) She started from the bottom and then passed a master and climb every step to become an officer. She’s specialized on guns because she’s a part of what we call « fusiliers » il French. It’s like the marines in the US. There’s very few women. Now she’s in charge of a training center. With about 40 persons under her order.
We know that you have to be a citizen to apply in the army except when you have strong skills and if your profile is in need.
Do you think she may have a chance to enter the Canadian navy with a PR status?
I have asked to a recruiting center but I had totally different informations depending the person. 2 were saying that her profil is very interesting and even if there’s few PR that are allowed to enter the navy she should contact the general staff of the army to apply. And another one said that is impossible.
So we are more lost after that…

Thanks for your help

You may find this discussion of general interest.
Last active 2018.

Enroll Permanent Resident / Naturalized Citizen​

12 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date, information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND.

Hi
I will easily find a job but my girlfriend would like to stay in the army. Almost all is family was or is in the navy for generations. She entered the reserve navy when she was 16 (she’s 36 now) She started from the bottom and then passed a master and climb every step to become an officer. She’s specialized on guns because she’s a part of what we call « fusiliers » il French. It’s like the marines in the US. There’s very few women. Now she’s in charge of a training center. With about 40 persons under her order.
We know that you have to be a citizen to apply in the army except when you have strong skills and if your profile is in need.
I have asked to a recruiting center but I had totally different informations depending the person. 2 were saying that her profil is very interesting and even if there’s few PR that are allowed to enter the navy she should contact the general staff of the army to apply. And another one said that is impossible.

Thanks for your help

Canada doesn't have Fusiliers marins as France does. The Navy is exclusively to sail and operate ships. The army is where her skill sets would match the best.

It is not impossible for a non-citizen to join the CAF but its not normally done for the army. Usually, it's pilots or submariners, where the skill set is rare or expensive to train. Given the current staffing situation, we probably should not be turning down skilled applicants even if they are not citizens. I'll send out an email and see if I can get you more info.

I would think she'd be welcomed at MTOG as an instructor.

The recruiters should have that sort of information at their fingertips, or a direct line to someone at the centre to consult. Too bad our online search system is worse than useless.

Hi

Thanks for your help
To add, where are you two looking to live? That will likely affect where she can get a job in the Navy (or Army for that matter).

Hi
Thanks for all your answers. Well she’s not a part of the commando. Women ar not allowed yet. She’s in charge of very young people who would like to enter the navy, 16 to 18 years old. But she has a gun training accreditation. But now as an officer she’s doing much more administrative stuff… unfortunately.
She has past this week her accreditation as every year to use shotgun, machine gun and hand gun. And the commando who was in charge was pretty impressed. So maybe it’s a clue for her.
But she’s really really good with Human Resources and communication, so. She will see.

We are planing to move to Victoria. A good mix between city, sea and mountains.

We are planing to move to Victoria.

Before you get there, you may find these ten pages of interest,

@Glamdring it took a bit but here's what I dug up.

The first step is to apply through JOBS.EMPOIS website or make contact with a CFRC Detachment.
They should know what to do but if not they have to look up Work Instruction - 3.3.2.05 in the Recruiting Manual. If they won't help you then let me know in a PM and I'll get you in direct contact with a Recruiter who knows what they are doing.

The goal is to get CAF sponsorship for your wife's Permanent Residence status. This entire process can take 24-36 months depending on security clearances.

Part one is to get Immigration to have you on their Express Entry list for Permanent Residence status.
Part two (concurrent to Part one) is to get your wife's qualifications recognized by the CAF.

They are two separate bureaucratic streams.

My recommendation:

START NOW BEFORE YOU EVEN ARRIVE IN CANADA . This will allow you to get all the paperwork together and to avoid unnecessary delays if you can.

Best of luck!

Hi
Thanks for all your answers. Well she’s not a part of the commando. Women ar not allowed yet. She’s in charge of very young people who would like to enter the navy, 16 to 18 years old. But she has a gun training accreditation. But now as an officer she’s doing much more administrative stuff… unfortunately.
She has past this week her accreditation as every year to use shotgun, machine gun and hand gun. And the commando who was in charge was pretty impressed. So maybe it’s a clue for her.
But she’s really really good with Human Resources and communication, so. She will see.

We are planing to move to Victoria. A good mix between city, sea and mountains.
Glamdring,

I worked with an ex-French Air Force Commando who lives in Victoria.

He left the French Military in 2013 and decided to immigrate to Canada (met a woman 😁). He has PR and joined the CAF after a few years of working civilian side. He tried joining as an infanteer but ended up enrolled as a Steward of all things but generally enjoys sailing. I think he enjoys the money more because the CAF pays better than the French Military.

We did a course together and he is in his mid-40s but still incredibly fit. It is totally possible to join you will just need to speak with the recruiters.

Glamdring,

I worked with an ex-French Air Force Commando who lives in Victoria.

He left the French Military in 2013 and decided to immigrate to Canada (met a woman 😁). He has PR and joined the CAF after a few years of working civilian side. He tried joining as an infanteer but ended up enrolled as a Steward of all things but generally enjoys sailing. I think he enjoys the money more because the CAF pays better than the French Military.

We did a course together and he is in his mid-40s but still incredibly fit. It is totally possible to join you will just need to speak with the recruiters.
Yes but did he taunt you a second time? ;)

Last edited:
Right there sums up the entire reason why recruiting is fubard!🤬
It's an obscure reference and not exercised often. A recruiter should know about it at least in passing though. Getting a call from outside of Canada is a weird situation that some newer recruiters and certainly file managers/MCCs might not know what to do with. Also if you are a normal person, not a pedantic perfectionist like myself you might miss this info.

As far as Fubar'd no. It's not even close. Problems for intake have more to do with perceptions of what the CAF reputation is as an employer than what errors are made in Recruiting Group processing.

It's an obscure reference and not exercised often. A recruiter should know about it at least in passing though. Getting a call from outside of Canada is a weird situation that some newer recruiters and certainly file managers/MCCs might not know what to do with. Also if you are a normal person, not a pedantic perfectionist like myself you might miss this info.

As far as Fubar'd no. It's not even close. Problems for intake have more to do with perceptions of what the CAF reputation is as an employer than what errors are made in Recruiting Group processing.
Hmm, how long is the wait time now to process a candidate? You'd think with our modern communication systems that the processing would now be pretty quick compared to when I joined and there was only snail mail and land lines.

Hmm, how long is the wait time now to process a candidate? You'd think with our modern communication systems that the processing would now be pretty quick compared to when I joined and there was only snail mail and land lines.
You mean like how your 10 year security clearance kinda take 13ish right now and then they date the next ten from the date of issuance? Should be getting faster…but it’s not 🤷‍♀️

Pedants prove polity.

I'm PM you an answer because this isn't really the place to discuss Recruiting pros and cons. Muddles the Q&A for @Glamdring

Back