• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Tonnage is only one metric. These were some of the most modern ships in the Russian navy and quite heavily armed. Likely had her air defense sensors off to avoid detection, but spent to long in one place. I think a lesson learned for South Pacific and Mediterranean ops is mobile basing, so your fleet support is always moving around.

Schiff_%C2%ABBurya%C2%BB_03.jpg
You know for I was actually amazed by the actual amount of hardware they've managed to pack into her. She's what 950 tonnes?
Of course all tied up to dock during wartime doesn't strike me as particularly safe or smart.

That's really my point. We have existing hulls that could carry more weapons if we decided that they should have them. Obviously that takes engineering, but the gross metrics indicate it should be feasible.

Would I prefer a new ship with more speed. Sure but if something can be modernized economically then lets do so.

I come from the point of view that Canada's armed forces should be armed. It seems to me to be a great waste of resources to build ships, even training ships that are not capable of carrying armaments. Air defence and anti-ship capabilities should be built into every ship. IMHO, even a mine sweeper should come with an air defence system and an appropriate surface weapon system. One can always use an "armed" ship in a peacetime role. Unarmed ships have limited value.

🍻
Any ship without at least some decent SHORAD is, in this day and age, fixing to become a war grave.

250 tonnes and Finnish.

Complement26
Sensors and
processing systems
  • Saab Ceros 200 with 9LV FCS (Saab)
  • Consilium Selesmar maritime radar
  • TRS-3D/16-ES multimode acquisition 3D radar (EADS)
  • ANCS 2000 Combat Management System (EADS)
  • MSSR 2000 I IFF (EADS)
  • EOMS (SAGEM)
  • Simrad Subsea Toadfish sonar
  • Sonac/PTA towed array sonar (Finnyards)
Electronic warfare
& decoys
Armament

Weaponry
OriginalAfter modernization
1 × Bofors 57 mm dual-purpose gun (transferred to Pohjanmaa class)1 × Bofors 40 Mk4 multi purpose gun
2 × 12,7mm machine guns1 × Saab Trackfire remote weapon station with a 12,7mm machine gun,
2 × 12,7mm machine guns
noneInitially Torped 45, later Torped 47
RBS15 SFIII anti-ship missileGabriel Mk.5 anti-ship missile
Atlas ANCS 2000 combat systemSaab 9LV combat management system
noneKongsberg ST2400 towed sonar (from Rauma class)
Saab Ceros 200 radar and optronic tracking fire control directorupdated Saab Ceros 200 radar and optronic tracking fire control director
TRS-3D phased array C-band radarupdated TRS-3D phased array C-band radar

1716227064728.png

Not hard to stick lots of weapons and sensors in a hull.

That's really my point. We have existing hulls that could carry more weapons if we decided that they should have them. Obviously that takes engineering, but the gross metrics indicate it should be feasible.

We have no hulls in shape to take on more weapons.

We have no hulls in shape to take on more weapons.
The AOPS is so new they are still making them.

The Kingston class was at one point touted for mid-life refit to take it to 2045-55 but this was stopped with the suggestion a new vessel would enter service by 2020. IMHO we are always looking for new ships. One thing about weapon systems is that they can be moved to new ships as long as they are still effective for the role.

Honestly, I think that the CAF compromises itself out of viable system due to not having a sellable vision beyond peacetime. The problem is that we are, once again, already at war. We need to prepare now for its next stage. An armed MCDV is better than an unarmed one. It is much cheaper to refit an MCDV now than build a new ship. The Navy needs to convince the CDS, the MND and all of government that it has a viable plan. Wishing for new baubles a decade from now is not a viable plan.

🍻

The AOPS is so new they are still making them.

The Kingston class was at one point touted for mid-life refit to take it to 2045-55 but this was stopped with the suggestion a new vessel would enter service by 2020. IMHO we are always looking for new ships. One thing about weapon systems is that they can be moved to new ships as long as they are still effective for the role.

Honestly, I think that the CAF compromises itself out of viable system due to not having a sellable vision beyond peacetime. The problem is that we are, once again, already at war. We need to prepare now for its next stage. An armed MCDV is better than an unarmed one. It is much cheaper to refit an MCDV now than build a new ship. The Navy needs to convince the CDS, the MND and all of government that it has a viable plan. Wishing for new baubles a decade from now is not a viable plan.

🍻
MCDV are already designed to accept modular systems in 20 foot ISO compliant modules on the rear deck. Is there potential to bolt on new weapon systems this way? I have no illusion we'd likely see anything very high end that way, but what about SHORAD that can contribute to an anti-UAS bubble?

All vessels are constrained by stability issues and for warships, arcs of fire and sensor interference. I suspect that the RWS system for the CSC is close in weight to the old 40mm Bofors. It would also be a good way to test and familiarize the RCN with the system, before spending gobs of money on them. So I would mount them on the operating Kingstons as a "trial".

Older ships are better off not being used. If you do need to use them, just add plug and play containers. While they may raise the CoG, you’re not spending a fortune in systems integration as the container should only need power - everything else comes from a linked controlling ship.

Back